Classic Audi » Audi Sport / Competition » Rally chat » Engine options for a Hill climb car...?? is TDi an option???

Old 24-09-10, 07:19 PM   #11
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

How, prey, can you even mutter the idea of putting a 1.9weasel engine into an iconic 80 quattro? You really are pushing the limits of acceptance....

IMHO, if you wish to avoid being burnt at the stake, I strongly suggest you look along the lines of a 5 pot.
Old 24-09-10, 07:27 PM   #12
latent
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Old VW AAZ 1.9tdi block wasnt graphite iron like new ones so very heavy methinks. New 1.9tdi's are 170bhp?

Practical Performance Car mag did have a DSL kit car project in May issue?
You'll need to match intercooler, exhaust and injectors to the big turbo for optimum and those parts arnt off the shelf like petrol engined stuff.

tip - race cars arnt about power they're about weight because you have to stop it start it and turn it.
Old 24-09-10, 07:36 PM   #13
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

And 'Heritage' enthusiast cars are all about the original cars character....

If he wanted to go up the hill quickly he'd have bought a Gould.
Old 24-09-10, 07:49 PM   #14
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Only trying to help.

Licence and club membership: You'll need to join a MSA (Motor Sports Association) affiliated hillclimbing club before applying for your 'National B' MSA Competition licence. There are 2 types of licences the National A, and National B. You must first obtain a 'National B' licence which has restrictions regarding the type of car you can race and at which grade but it will allow you to compete in most hillclimb events. You can upgrade your 'National B' licence for a 'National A' licence once you've got some races under your belt (and acquired signatures) which means you'll be licensed to race more the powerful machines in the sports and single-seater classes. For more information on competition licences visit the MSA website... click here...
Not trying,to step on your toes.
Have a look,here.........http://www.doctordanger.com/other/hillclimbCar.html

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-10, 07:51 PM   #15
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
How, prey, can you even mutter the idea of putting a 1.9weasel engine into an iconic 80 quattro? You really are pushing the limits of acceptance....

IMHO, if you wish to avoid being burnt at the stake, I strongly suggest you look along the lines of a 5 pot.
I knew that would get your goat up!!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-10, 07:51 PM   #16
raymor
Newbie!

...not a TDi for the hills, yes it's torquey, but narrow powerband. Having been up all the Scottish hills, a TDi wouldn't be my motor of choice.

If you change your mind I've got a complete remapped 280bhp 3.6PT with loom & ECU, that will be let go for a £/bhp. Heavier, yes, but progressive and a good spread of torque. It's got to be driveable to be fun on the hills
raymor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-10, 08:09 PM   #17
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGYIN View Post
Licence and club membership: You'll need to join a MSA (Motor Sports Association) affiliated hillclimbing club before applying for your 'National B' MSA Competition licence. There are 2 types of licences the National A, and National B. You must first obtain a 'National B' licence which has restrictions regarding the type of car you can race and at which grade but it will allow you to compete in most hillclimb events. You can upgrade your 'National B' licence for a 'National A' licence once you've got some races under your belt (and acquired signatures) which means you'll be licensed to race more the powerful machines in the sports and single-seater classes. For more information on competition licences visit the MSA website... click here...
Not trying,to step on your toes.
Have a look,here.........http://www.doctordanger.com/other/hillclimbCar.html
don't worry, the little blue book is my bedtime read!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-10, 09:37 PM   #18
B2AUDI80
B2 Brigade
Classic Audi Club Member

anotherthing ul need for hillclimbing is commitment, check out our irish pilot, hes the biggest threat to the single seaters here at the minute and rightly so, seen him in action in the flesh and he is rapid!!
B2AUDI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-10, 09:56 PM   #19
Tim C
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymor View Post
...not a TDi for the hills, yes it's torquey, but narrow powerband. Having been up all the Scottish hills, a TDi wouldn't be my motor of choice.
Being practical about it, that's a very good point. The narrow power band will make gear selection and corner entry speed, particularly at the tighter corners, very critical. It's a huge advantage to have a wide torquey power band so that you can pull out of the corners after you have overcooked it on the way in .
Most engines will cope with accelerating up a hill in a straight line. Other engines will flatter a less than perfect driver in the twiddley bits .

Some of the boys in the single seaters will change all their gear ratios for each venue to maximise the revs and power at the most important corners. I don't think you want to be faffing about with all that.

Anyway, my heart says a 5 pot, my head says a 2.7T (good power, less overhang, doesn't lean over to one side - better balance, weight is lower down, etc).
A4 2.0T quattro s-line special edition - wife's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37654549@N06/sets/
Tim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-10, 11:57 AM   #20
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Quattro View Post
I'd like to see it a diesel, the pd engine is great and be very unique for the car. Plus you could drive it home at 50mpg!
Yep, 1.9 PD engine is great and very unique piece of crap - basically it's still the old 1.9 TDI, yet with new problems and new set of injectors costs a fortune - and I'm doubting what is max power available with PD - strongest stock PD engine was with 150 bhp, so if there's no aftermarket stuff, that would mean 170-180 bhp max. And some 350-400 nm of torque. Old 1.9 TDI has more tuning options and max power should be at least 250 bhp and some 450 nm of torque.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote