Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Cabriolet 'rear doorcard' removal

Old 25-02-19, 04:27 PM   #1
Flash Harry
Grown up member

Default Cabriolet 'rear doorcard' removal

I know that the Cab doesn't have rear doors! but felt that doorcard is a universal way to describe the trim where the rear speakers are!

Can anyone give advise on how they are removed before I start prying at them randomly? rear speakers are not working, so plan to replace.

Also, I have the little Nokia Sub in mine that also doesn't work, so plan to remove. It has a bag attached to it, which I assumed was the 'ski bag' some models come with, but am unsure now as cannot see how this works with the sub?

Thanks in advance
Flash Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 08:46 PM   #2
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I’m about to do a write up of how to re-tension the front seat belts... part of this will be how the ‘rear door cards’ come off... It’s pretty straight forward tbh...

In the mean time....

Remove trim panel, the foot trim panel that goes along the car at the base of the door. There are two screws at the back end if it then it pulls up and out/around the silver bar holding the seatbelt on, and is then only clipped in going forward , so just pull up.

Once this is remove the little cover on the screw half way up the rear panel, then reveals a screw, remove this.

Rear seat base and back both have to be removed.. two screws holding the seat base on, at the front, and then there’s two similar screws at the bottom on the seat back, the seat back then lifts up.

Then there are 3/4 screws holding the side bolster in from the side... and then there is 2 holding it at the top. So to get at these last 2, open the roof.

Now talking the rear panel at the top....After you’ve got the top two out, you’ll see that there is another screw near the back of where you just took out the previous 2, remove that. Then there is another screw which faces backwards and is near the side of the car. Close to this screw are two 5mm Allen screws which attach to the little flap and the rea panel, remove these.

Then that should be it. Ah, no there is maybe one more screw along the bottom, about the middle i think from memory, then that should be it and it should just lift out.

Oops.. no, you have to remove the tip of the seatbelt...so the seat belt top part has a cover on it, it prizes up from the back, but i found doing this by working it from about the middle, where it should split, then means you can lift it off from the back...it takes a bit of a pull.

Once that is off, 17mm hex will take off the top bolt. Careful as there is a washer there too.

You’ll have to undo the seatbelt from the silver bar at the base of the seatbelt too, it’s another 17mm hex, and then the belt just feeds off the silver bar...

That should be it!!

hope that helps.. if you get stuck... give me a shout..

I’ll get the seatbelt thread done... and add photos there...
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 09:43 PM   #3
Flash Harry
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post
I’m about to do a write up of how to re-tension the front seat belts... part of this will be how the ‘rear door cards’ come off... It’s pretty straight forward tbh...

In the mean time....

Remove trim panel, the foot trim panel that goes along the car at the base of the door. There are two screws at the back end if it then it pulls up and out/around the silver bar holding the seatbelt on, and is then only clipped in going forward , so just pull up.

Once this is remove the little cover on the screw half way up the rear panel, then reveals a screw, remove this.

Rear seat base and back both have to be removed.. two screws holding the seat base on, at the front, and then there’s two similar screws at the bottom on the seat back, the seat back then lifts up.

Then there are 3/4 screws holding the side bolster in from the side... and then there is 2 holding it at the top. So to get at these last 2, open the roof.

Now talking the rear panel at the top....After you’ve got the top two out, you’ll see that there is another screw near the back of where you just took out the previous 2, remove that. Then there is another screw which faces backwards and is near the side of the car. Close to this screw are two 5mm Allen screws which attach to the little flap and the rea panel, remove these.

Then that should be it. Ah, no there is maybe one more screw along the bottom, about the middle i think from memory, then that should be it and it should just lift out.

Oops.. no, you have to remove the tip of the seatbelt...so the seat belt top part has a cover on it, it prizes up from the back, but i found doing this by working it from about the middle, where it should split, then means you can lift it off from the back...it takes a bit of a pull.

Once that is off, 17mm hex will take off the top bolt. Careful as there is a washer there too.

You’ll have to undo the seatbelt from the silver bar at the base of the seatbelt too, it’s another 17mm hex, and then the belt just feeds off the silver bar...

That should be it!!

hope that helps.. if you get stuck... give me a shout..

I’ll get the seatbelt thread done... and add photos there...
Legend, thanks Gmac. Getting out the car the other day I thought that the front seatbelts were particularly lazy! Sounds like a job for the same time then...

On better news, replace the 7 core boot wiring and filled the roof pump with oil just in time to get it to open for the sun!

Having changed the temp sensor to get the dash gauge to work, seems it’s getting hot and the fan isn’t cutting in. So am going to have to go through what needs replacing to sort that. Thanks for your help on the rear door cards off
Flash Harry is offline   Reply With Quote