Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Indicator relay? 1993 Coupe

Old 26-02-17, 10:53 PM   #1
Cynical26
Grown up member

Default Indicator relay? 1993 Coupe

Is there a separate relay that controls the indicators in the coupe, and if so where is it located?

No indicators today, no noises either but still have the hazards working.

I've checked through the previous posts but none of the threads with similar symptoms have a fix posted

Fuses under the bonnet are all in order. Possibly the stalk itself?
Cynical26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 11:05 PM   #2
Cynical26
Grown up member

Anyone replaced the hazard light switch in the dash for a fix?

Is the relay built in to that switch the only one connected to the indicators? I did have the dash switches out tonight to put new bulbs in. Probably fucked the switch at the same time.
Old 26-02-17, 11:53 PM   #3
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

There are more relays under the steering wheel on most of these. Don't know the number but that's where it probably is.

I've got an even weirder one, lights off - hazard and indicator tell lamps on the dash work fine, lights on - they flash OFF when you indicate and flash the full beam tell lamp at the same time, full beam on - they flash the opposite direction they should. Lol. Fkn old cars.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-17, 12:36 AM   #4
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

http://s2-audi.co.uk/workshop/schema...ul92/page2.png

I'm guessing you have the hazard switch in the centre console ?
Old 27-02-17, 01:44 PM   #5
simonthemedic
Grown up member

On my 80 b4 the indicator relay is on the fuse panel in the drivers footwell. It's a 3 pin relay with the terminals marked 31, 49 & 49a. There is only the one relay/flasher unit that controls the indicators and hazard lights as far as I am aware. Possibly a connection problem from the indicator switch unit to the relay maybe
simonthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-17, 02:42 PM   #6
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical26 View Post
Anyone replaced the hazard light switch in the dash for a fix?

Is the relay built in to that switch the only one connected to the indicators? I did have the dash switches out tonight to put new bulbs in. Probably fucked the switch at the same time.

I broke my hazards switch, did NOT affect the indicators though as they still worked fine.

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-17, 02:52 PM   #7
simonthemedic
Grown up member

Just a thought, Check that all the connectors in the multipin plug have made contact with the pins on the switch. Occasionally I have had a couple push out of the back when I plug them in
simonthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-17, 10:57 PM   #8
Cynical26
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
I broke my hazards switch, did NOT affect the indicators though as they still worked fine.

Ok, so that sounds like the hazard switch isn't the issue then. Thanks for the comments and pointers so far, lots to consider. I'll have a go some evening this week and see how far I get.
Old 28-02-17, 01:22 PM   #9
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Hope you sort the issue easily gee

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-17, 11:28 PM   #10
Cynical26
Grown up member

Not so easy Bruce.

Ordered a new No. 21 indicator/ hazard relay for £4 from the bay as a start. Nothing doing, still the same problem predictably enough.

Took the steering wheel off and tested the connections on the indicator stalk multi connections with the multimeter. Nothing coming through from the left and right switches.

To double check I connected a feed from a live 12v circuit to the two indicator connections one at a time. Both of them lit up (but without the flashing function obviously).

So the wiring from the rear of the connections to the indicator bulbs is not broken. That's small mercy at least!

I also tested the rear wash/wipe the same way as this doesn't work currently. With the 12v constant feed attached both the wash and the rear wiper work too.

So, I'm looking for a fault in the indicator and wiper stalks.

Took them both apart and cleaned and re-greased the connections. The conections were well worn with no grease left. Rebuilding the light switch included loosing the small spring from which fired across the kitchen somewhere when attempting to re-fit.

Luckily I had a spare from a different set of switches which don't fit my car.

Anyway, despite all that, on refitting the cleaned up switches the indicators and rear wash/wipe still don't work.

I've ordered up a replacement tested set from eBay which should be here early next week.

Hope this works out as I'm not really able to drive he car at the moment, well, not anywhere that involves turning right anyway!

Last edited by Cynical26; 18-03-17 at 11:33 PM.