Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Damp Footwells!?

Old 08-07-08, 07:58 PM   #1
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Damp Footwells!?

Hello,

I have just got home (after having yet another bloody tooth out), and have just lifted my front mat out to shake off some bits, and to my horrow, I have found that the footwell was wet underneath!

This is the first time I have EVER seen this, so its not been happening long, the passenger side is slightly damp too, but nowhere near as bad. Its been raining badly now here for weeks, and I think this is whats made me see it for the first time.

I have spoken to my brother, and he seems to think there are some rubbber bungs/ seals underneath that could be causing it, is this true, and how likely is it?

Its raining again now so I cant check.

If its not these however, any ideas what could be causing it?

I cant help but worry and think its something that needs to be sorted ASAP!

Many thanks in advance,

Sie!
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 08:30 PM   #2
rubyroo
Newbie!

Talking

Hi mate

I had this problem with a MK2 Golf GTI and it took me ages to find out where the water was coming in from, I found the problem to be the drivers door membrane the previous owner had split it to fit speakers or fix something in the door but made a bodge of trying to seal it back up he had used gaffer tape which was o.k for a while.
I made a new polythene membrane and fixed it to the door using wind screen sealant problem solved, but not before I had checked the sunroof drainage pipe which runs down the A-pillar, all gromets on the bulk head, replaced the rubber door seal and sun roof seal, removed the wind screen and re fitted it with new rubber seal.
If you have not solved the problem after all this let it fill up with water and put some gold fish in it.
rubyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 09:00 PM   #3
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Door membranes a very likely possible, theyre critical to keeping water out.
If theyre ok, id be looking for perished or missing bungs in the engine bay on the firewall area, door seals possibly, leaky screen rubber etc.
Best way ive found is to have someone inside and spray each corner in turn and watch for drips etc.

Did a peugeot once and the body drains in each side were chock full of leaves causing the collected water (must have been a gallon or two) to go down the fan air intake for compartment...
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 09:37 PM   #4
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

when it does dry out, try jet washing, maybe with someone sitting in the car and see if they can notice where the water is coming in from.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 09:43 PM   #5
amanda
quattro hussie!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Bonnet pull is another leak but also internal heating rad if it fails
RS6 ...my baby
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 12:23 AM   #6
red_rock_beetle
Newbie!

ive seen the heater core leak not shure on youre car though
red_rock_beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 05:00 AM   #7
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

I have the same on my 80CL.

Not solved it yet though, I reckon it is getting past the windscreen rubber. Probably under the metal clamp half way up each side.

If I park it e=with the drivers side slightly higher than the passenger side, it doesn't do it.
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 05:42 PM   #8
Octanejunkie
Grown up member

Hmmmm. Could be coming in via the winscreen/A pillar.
Most likely though through the door membranes though. Do have a good look along the bulkhead though.
Octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 06:47 PM   #9
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Has yours got a Sunroof, my quat hasnt but a lot of Audi's which have a sunroof suffer from blocked sunroof drains
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-08, 05:01 PM   #10
BigT80
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi, just adding my thoughts on leaks into front footwells: most been said really, but re door membrane: I left the bottom unstuck & tucked it (loosely) inside the bottom of the door: this helped stop water that can still run down the inside in heavy rain & then run through the bottom of the glued area. Now it just runs into the door and drains away.
Also, I found my 80 Sport only leaked when parked on a slight downward incline: reason, water collecting in the bottom part of the door seal; building up and then running inside. Adjusted door & took off & reset seal, helped, but did not cure, so I cut a couple of very fine slits in the seal on the outside edge so water could drain away: a combination of these actions seem to have cured it. Water leaks: pain in the a**e and something the Ser II 80's seems to suffer from: boots too of course! Cheers.
BigT80 is offline   Reply With Quote