Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Whiney PAS

Old 23-01-08, 11:20 AM   #1
randall977
Mr Typ 43!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Whiney PAS

The PAS on my 82 Audi 200 makes a fairly constant grating, whining, scraping noise. The car was standing for 16 years so I don't know if this hasn't helped. Is there something which can be added to the fluid to make the pump quieter? Should I replace all of the fluid and is this an easy job? Thanks
randall977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 11:28 AM   #2
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi mate, if its anything like the quattro then its not to bad a job. 1st what colour is the fliud in the res as you shouldnt mix the Green with the Red, If its Red the I have about a Gallon of the stuff over here in Stanton Harcourt which you can have for Nowt
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-08, 11:41 AM   #3
randall977
Mr Typ 43!
Classic Audi Club Member

That's very kind of you - I'm oftern over that way (have you used Paynes of Ensham - what do you think of them?). I have been reading the stuff on the Quattroforum about red and green fluid - I will check what mine is. But will this get rid of the noise or can I add something?
Old 23-01-08, 11:49 AM   #4
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Mine used to screem something terible, Changed the pump, still the same, it turned out to be one of the hoses was collaspsing and the fluid res was full of black shite, I got a hose had up at Pertek over in Cowley fitted this and drained and changed all the fluid and its been fine since.

If the fluid has never been changed by flushing the system out with new fluid and bleeding cant do any harm and hopefully this is all it needs.

If you ever want to pop over send me a pm and I shall get back to you as I am about most days until about 3.30pm when we go off to work
Old 23-01-08, 12:14 PM   #5
randall977
Mr Typ 43!
Classic Audi Club Member

Collapsed pipe...I have had a problem with three of my brake hoses on the same car - hydraulic fluid got to them. It does screem.
Old 23-01-08, 12:23 PM   #6
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thats you problem Mine had brake fluid put in the res by mistake when I got the car and this was the cause of the pipe to brake down. The top hose to the pump was the one to collaspe as this is the one being sucked on. Try running the engine and squeeze this pipe gently and see if that makes any differance to the screeming (eg squeeze it back into a round pipe) hope that makes sense
Old 23-01-08, 01:34 PM   #7
randall977
Mr Typ 43!
Classic Audi Club Member

It's a good plan - I was wondering how to test it. I had thought about replacing the pump but getting another one which isn't worn could be difficult and the noise doesn't seem to tie in with the mechanics of the pump - still could be the pump at fault. So you got a new hydraulic pipe made up at Pertek...?
Old 23-01-08, 02:19 PM   #8
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Yep, all I did was take the old pipe of and take it up there workshop, they had to take the pump fitting off the old pipe and braze it on to one off there fittings and then fit it to a new lenth of pipe, it cost about a tenner.

As guess what, the Audi part is NLA