Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » 1990 Audi 2309cc 20v Coupe Quattro

Old 05-01-11, 06:01 PM   #11
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Oliver
That's fine and I understand re Gauges. For your info, gauges are replacements (or spares if mine are OK) - my car has 3 gauges in centre console (2 oil and 1 battery)
Tried a few times on 2 Nov but messages bounced back as undeliverable - perhaps a server hiccup!
Pls confirm and I will send cash.
Thanks
Keith
ksaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 06:17 PM   #12
wildoliver
Grown up member

No probs will do, will be tomorrow night now.

If your gauges aren't working at all I suspect a power supply issue.
wildoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 06:23 PM   #13
msh
4 ring whore!

Usually diff lock can be diagnosed by lying down next to rear axle and manually locking the diff [with engine running] - if light comes on and abs off, then that's loss of vaccum.
P.S. As far as I remember, switch can be swapped with ABS switch, only to use ABS switch permanently, some contacts needs to be resoldered to get light working. I think soldering what I done was only for light, cos' my A90q has ABS switch in place of genuine diff lock switch.
What's wrong with your gauges?
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 06:27 PM   #14
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Oliver
Thanks for comment.
Temp Gauge moves up slightly but stays at that position - Pressure Gauge zooms to max (off the scale!) when ignition switched on. Have disconnected Sender for latter but no effect.
Keith
Old 05-01-11, 06:33 PM   #15
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

MSH
Thanks for your helpful Diff comments.
Pls see Gauge problems above in my reply to Oliver.
Thanks
Keith
Old 05-01-11, 06:40 PM   #16
msh
4 ring whore!

Well, It's definitely not a gauge problem, so u can keep your gauges
What these two gauges does, when they are disconnected? Oil temp gauge does nothing - like yours. Oil pressure gauge goes to max - again, just like yours Oil temp sensor is located in oil pump at the front bottom part of the engine, in side which in UK is called "driver's side". Small sender with small wire attached. If u don't have any shield under engine compartment, by lying down u will be able to see it. But actually, if u aren't using that car hard, u probably won't see that gauge moving - Ok, I dunno about R5 engines, when I had my A80, which had 3A 2.0 8v engine with gauges for more than year, I saw that gauge moving only once - when I was sitting for half an hour in a traffic jam in summer.
Pressure gauge - well, usually ppls like to put incorrect wires Did u tried to swap wires on big sender?
Old 05-01-11, 07:00 PM   #17
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

MSH.
To clarify. Temp G: haven't tried disconnecting but I'm fairly sure it used to move as engine got warm but I may be wrong. Pressure G: Needle goes to max whether connected or disconnected. Cables should not be crossed as no one had messed with them prior to problem which started suddenly. However will try what you say.
Thanks again.
Keith
Old 05-01-11, 07:05 PM   #18
msh
4 ring whore!

Well, if pressure gauge connector isn't misplaced, then probably wire is broken somewhere.
Old 06-01-11, 07:51 PM   #19
wildoliver
Grown up member

I can help you twice here.

Found the switch, I may even have 2, pay me for one if I find the other you get 2 for one!!
I'll be glad to be rid of some switches, could tile my bathroom with them!

RE. Your gauges. The fault you are describing is the oil pressure wire being disconnected, hence why when you disconnect it it does the same thing. You have power to the gauges (I suspect your voltage gauge works fine) and quite simply either the wires come off one end or more likely there is a break in the wire. Simple job to just run a new wire. That will solve your issue I promise. By the sound of it your worried your oil temp gauge isn't moving? If so that's also pretty normal, the needle barely moves on most cars, the engine has to be clicking hot to really register. So no issues there I suspect.

So hopefully that big job has turned in to a 15 min running a new wire for the pressure gauge!

Paypal to wildoliver@tiscali.co.uk for the switch please.
wildoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-11, 08:52 AM   #20
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Diff Lock Update:
Have now changed Diff Lock switch (by gearstick) and:
- It now lights up when switched on and goes out at around 15 mph (possible that old switch just needed new bulb).
- The ABS warning light does not come on when Diff Lock switch is pressed (the ABS light is definitely working).
- Diff Lock still not working.
Does the above throw any more light on problem or do the previous comments still apply?
Thanks
Keith