Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Indicator relay? 1993 Coupe

Old 19-03-17, 12:31 AM   #11
msh
4 ring whore!

Welll... Let me ask you a question - is fuse number 15 ok? Physically and no oxides on contacts...
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 01:04 AM   #12
Cynical26
Grown up member

Life's s never that easy

Fuse was in good order but a new one was fitted to be safe and all connections look to be clean and corrosion free.
Cynical26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 02:50 AM   #13
msh
4 ring whore!

Well, fine. Still strange why both things that are connected to it are not working.
Old 19-03-17, 12:59 PM   #14
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

have heard of the stalks being replaced a few times on these, they had been replaced on my 2.3 when i got it and the old one's were in the boot, i fitted the old one's just to see and guess what ? no indicators or rear wash wipe, put the new...er stalks back on and all worked fine again.

Hope another set does the trick for you !

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 02:20 PM   #15
Cynical26
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Well, fine. Still strange why both things that are connected to it are not working.
The rear wash/wipe hasn't worked since I've owned it, the indicators only packed up a few weeks ago.

Will see what happens once the replacement switches arrive.
Old 19-03-17, 08:26 PM   #16
msh
4 ring whore!

Ok, my bad, missed that "rear" thing, thought you're talking about front wipers...
Old 22-03-17, 11:54 PM   #17
Cynical26
Grown up member

Needing some help please:

The replacement indicator and wiper stalks/switches arrived yesterday. These ware the same part No.s from a 1990 Audi 100. Got replacements for both sides as although the indicator switch is on the L/H side the wiring connections on the rear for the indicators are on the R/H side (wiper stalk).

I test fitted the connectors and wiring before refitting all to the car. Only a 50% success rate: the rear wash and wipe functions have been restored (never worked since I've owned the car) but still no indicators.

The flasher replay under the dash has been replaced and the hazards still work. When a constant 12v feed is connected to the left or right pin at the rear of the switch the indicators light up and the dash light comes on. The indicators don't flash though.

I've tested the wiring between the multi plug and the relay using a multimeter: when the hazards are working I'm getting a reading at the left L and righ R pins feeding back to the multi plug at the rear of the wiper stalk.

The above would indicate that the wiring between the hazard switch, the flasher relay, the indicator bulbs and the dash are all connected with no breaks.

I've not got another set of switches to try but believe I may have been sent another non-working indicator stalk?

Anything I'm missing?

There is new remanufactred replacement set on eBay. They come with a warranty, so at least they should be in 100% working order. I'm tempted to just buy them and stick them in. At least that way I can rule it out one way or the other.

Edit: just a thought. I didn't refit the switches to the steering column with the metal clamp. As the column is earthed would this need to be connected to complete a circuit? All of the other functions work without being mounted correctly...

Last edited by Cynical26; 25-03-17 at 12:15 AM.
Old 23-03-17, 09:09 AM   #18
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Can you confirm if your parking lights are coming on ?

When you put the indicator switch down with the ignition off, you should get the left parking light coming on. Putting it up will give the right parking light.

If that works, it suggests the new indicator switch is working
Old 23-03-17, 06:37 PM   #19
msh
4 ring whore!

Parking light function uses different set of contacts, as it works on different circuit and different bulbs.

No, it doesn't matter if you haven't fitted stalks on steering column, the clamp is solely for securing purposes.

Presuming that you don't understand the principle of indicator operation - indicator relay is connected to power on one pin, and another goes to switch. When switch completes the circuit - connects one indicator circuit to relay - the bulbs start to receive power through relay and relay starts to work, interrupting this power supply. The same principle applies here, but here we have additional hazard switch, which has two functions - first it connects simultaneously both sides to relay, second, it controls where does the indicator relay gets power from - for indicator operation there's that one fuse with ignition power, for hazard light operation there's that other fuse with battery power. So you can try two things - first, try to bypass indicator switch, by connecting directly in stalk connector one indicator side with relay, second, try to bypass hazard switch power supply side, by connecting relay to battery power in hazard switch, and then try indicator function. But, of course, check that fuse 5 is fine before you start this - I'll presume that your schematic is fine as I cannot access my schematics at the moment.
Old 27-03-17, 10:20 PM   #20
Cynical26
Grown up member

Ok so, I've got indicators again.

Working with msh's pointers above I took a 12v supply from the rear of the indicator/ light stalk and connected it to pin 49 on the relay.

I used spade connectiors insted of cutting the loom initially. Tested them and all working, left, right and hazards all good.

I didn't pull all of the loom out to check for the break, just happy enough that it's fixed. The loom is in tight behind the dash so just taped it all up to keep the new wire secure.

If the dash is ever out, I'll replace the wire between the relay and take it in to the loom properly.

Back on the road again

Last edited by Cynical26; 27-03-17 at 10:23 PM.