Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Cooling system help part deux !!

Old 04-02-17, 11:54 PM   #21
msh
4 ring whore!

I would prefer to keep existing one, if it's working. I've read so much reports about crappy new thermostats that when I change one for a reason, I usually boil the new one first to make sure it works, lol.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 12:40 AM   #22
Cynical26
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
I would prefer to keep existing one, if it's working. I've read so much reports about crappy new thermostats that when I change one for a reason, I usually boil the new one first to make sure it works, lol.
Argh! Why can't things be simple?

Gmac: did you manage a run tonight after getting all the bits in and the coolant in?
Cynical26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 07:08 AM   #23
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Morning folks! Yep, you can tell I've got kids! Up before 7 o'clock on a Sunday!

Meant to update this thread yesterday.... I got out for an afternoon run to tesco, rock and roll!

The car was started from cold and I can happily report that the temp got up to 93 degrees and stayed there for the whole drive.

I stopped off at a friends on the way home and left the engine running, the temp creeped up and as soon as it got the above 95 degrees the fans kicked in!!! Pretty delighted with that!

So it seems that my cooling system is now running as it should! Temp sitting on the gauge correctly, fans kicking in when the temp rises and the after run fans kicking in when the car is shut off and the temp is high!

I suppose I could change out the sender for the gauge again with the old one to see if the old one is working, as it seems the thermostat change and the radiator temp sensor change finally sorted out the gauge. Who know! Haha.

Oh and the thermostat came with a new o-ring and I used that. I also got a set of swan neck spanners through the post yesterday, ordered t 17:00 on Amazon prime and arrived with the post at lunchtime Saturday! Happy with that. SO I'll tweak the 10mm bolt on the top left of the flange covering the thermostat.

So pretty good day yesterday, especially with Scotland's result against Ireland!
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 08:01 AM   #24
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

.......to the above.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 10:42 AM   #25
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote: