Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Electric Window Motor Help please

Old 08-02-17, 08:41 AM   #1
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Electric Window Motor Help please

Looks like my driver side window motor has gone- Solenoid clicks but nothing happens. Had a quick look on ebay but dont know how universal these are from 80,90,B3,B4,Coupe Cab etc. Mine is a B3 Coupe 2.3 20V. Does anyone know the part number I need please?

Thanks
Crossle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 09:10 AM   #2
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Have you been using it regularly throughout this winter? Could be the motor is stuck and just needs a little clout from a hammer.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 10:31 AM   #3
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks Mark. Are they prone to problems do you know? I had purposely trying to not use it if any ice about for obvious reasons but a 27 year old car in every day winter use its too be expected I guess.
Crossle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 10:33 AM   #4
the red baron
Grown up member

Have you been to the Jeremy Clarckson school of motor mechanics vorsprung?
the red baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 10:34 AM   #5
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossle View Post
Thanks Mark. Are they prone to problems do you know? I had purposely trying to not use it if any ice about for obvious reasons but a 27 year old car in every day winter use its too be expected I guess.
Yes, it seams to be quite common at this age if not used regularly.
Old 08-02-17, 10:37 AM   #6
msh
4 ring whore!

I fully agree. No hammers

Crossle just take it apart. It's either stuck or the contacts on motor rotor have oxidized due to not being used. Just a few simple tools required, only, when you take the motor apart, try to not to destroy the gasket between reductor and the white plastic, otherwise you'll have to make new one. In the process also old solid grease should be scraped out and new one put in it.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 10:38 AM   #7
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the red baron View Post
Have you been to the Jeremy Clarckson school of motor mechanics vorsprung?

No, it's what i've read as a response to the same problem from another and it fixed it.Stands to reason though!. People get so up tight over the slightest thing when all it needs is some very basic actions and just regular use is usually what keeps cars in fine fettle.

If it's stuck,why not just five it a tap.Youll find i'm very ocd when it comes to my cars but sometimes common sense is needed as a first try.
Old 08-02-17, 01:26 PM   #8
DGSdale
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I think VDT is referring to how I sorted the same problem a while ago (see post no. 13 in this thread: http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...t=34856&page=2 )When we got our Cabbie, the drivers window didn't work. I checked out the relay and the mechanism - both of which appeared fine. Fixed it by tapping - note: tapping - the motor with a hammer while the switch was pressed in the down position. Had the same problem with the passenger side about a month ago. Once again the tap with a hammer did the trick. Bit annoying really, it takes longer to get the door card off than it does to fix the problem. I barely even had to touch the motor with the hammer this time and down it came. I think the motto is to use the things!
2000 B4 80 2.6 Cabriolet Final Edition - Ming Blue - sold - & missed
2003 C5 A6 3.0 quattro Avant - Night Blue - current
1998 C5 A6 2.8 quattro Avant - Ming Blue - sold
1994 B4 80 2.6SE Avant - Indigo Pearl - sold - & missed
1993 B4 80 2.0 16V Sport - Gomera Green - sold
DGSdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 02:13 PM   #9
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSdale View Post
I think VDT is referring to how I sorted the same problem a while ago (see post no. 13 in this thread: http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...t=34856&page=2 )When we got our Cabbie, the drivers window didn't work. I checked out the relay and the mechanism - both of which appeared fine. Fixed it by tapping - note: tapping - the motor with a hammer while the switch was pressed in the down position. Had the same problem with the passenger side about a month ago. Once again the tap with a hammer did the trick. Bit annoying really, it takes longer to get the door card off than it does to fix the problem. I barely even had to touch the motor with the hammer this time and down it came. I think the motto is to use the things!
Thanks.

Yes it was your thread i was referring to as i re read it the other day.A lovely cabriolet your!
Old 08-02-17, 02:13 PM   #10
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Tapping gives the brushes a shoogle. If the spring pressure is week due to the brush being worn or if it's been unused for a period then sometimes a tap is all it'll take to "resynchronise"! Same can be done for many a motor or alternator........but on some modern starter motors the magnets can be dislodged, can't remember the type?

Good tool the hammer, I love it.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote