Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Wiring loom for the front fogs

Old 22-03-17, 03:49 PM   #21
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

This looks very interesting that very clean loom given i'm the same as you,i.e. a bit of
a virgin when it comes to these sorts of things.I'll be watching,best of luck.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 04:35 PM   #22
msh
4 ring whore!

If I would be you, I would try to get loom from some higher spec model [because you again got loom with no front fogs], like V6 and swap it. By the way, the loom could also be from the coupe of the period or cabriolet - well, actually one from earlier coupes or B3 would also work, but it would require B3 stalks and couple of other things. The only thing to look for - if you got loom from some higher spec car, and it contains autocheck wiring, you also need it [unless you already have it], unless you want to modify it to work with stock minicheck.

As a last resort, if you would send me this loom, I could modify it for you, but the postage would be damn expensive - no idea how much exactly, but as an example - I paid 11,5 euros to send air filter box to UK, and that's something that's noticeably lighter.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 05:17 PM   #23
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post
Unfortunately my soldering skills and electrical knowledge is poor and I I'm going to need a fairly straight forward solution.
Would the best and easiest way not be to just switch a relay using the OE fog light switch?
Some suitable cable, connectors, fused relay, switch.....and job done?
The diagram below is all you'd need. It IS very retro-fit but you'd have the lights working with relatively very little effort.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...ram&ajaxhist=0
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 05:30 PM   #24
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
If I would be you, I would try to get loom from some higher spec model [because you again got loom with no front fogs], like V6 and swap it. By the way, the loom could also be from the coupe of the period or cabriolet - well, actually one from earlier coupes or B3 would also work, but it would require B3 stalks and couple of other things. The only thing to look for - if you got loom from some higher spec car, and it contains autocheck wiring, you also need it [unless you already have it], unless you want to modify it to work with stock minicheck.

As a last resort, if you would send me this loom, I could modify it for you, but the postage would be damn expensive - no idea how much exactly, but as an example - I paid 11,5 euros to send air filter box to UK, and that's something that's noticeably lighter.
I think you've misunderstood my idea. I don't mean swap the whole loom. Can i not just use the cabling of the rear fog switch? Ie the yellow connector from the switch, and wherever it reappears the other end???
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 09:01 PM   #25
msh
4 ring whore!

Yes, you can, but if you would swap suitable loom, it would actually be easier for you, and end result would be definitely better. It's not hard to put it in and connect
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 06:49 AM   #26
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Yes, you can, but if you would swap suitable loom, it would actually be easier for you, and end result would be definitely better. It's not hard to put it in and connect
Ok, thanks.. bit more work and research to do on this!
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote