Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Subframe change

Old 06-03-19, 05:40 PM   #1
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Subframe change

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can offer some advice... I'm currently looking at a subframe change on a 4-cyl B2 Audi 80, Id rather complete the work myself if possible rather than pay someone to do it.

As the subframe holds the engine, I'm guessing its a case of acquiring an engine hoist to hold the engine in place whilst I lower the subframe, however the gearbox, is that also held in place via the subframe - or is it held elsewhere? Will I require a transmission/trolley jack to support the gearbox whilst the subframe is off?

Also, am I correct in thinking the engine hoist points are at the rear of the cylinder head and front by the alternator?

Lastly, when putting the whole thing back together; the engine mounts looks like they have quite a bit of movement in their location, is there any special aligning I need to do to seat the engine/gearbox properly?

Any help/guidance would be much appreciate, it'll be quite a big job for me and my skills!

Many thanks in advance.

Simon
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 08:12 PM   #2
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

You can drop the subframe with the engine and gearbox it situ.
It's not too difficult. No special tools required. You will need to get your wheel alignment done afterwards though as the subframe is adjustable.
Get some polybushes for the subframe bushes as the OE ones are very difficult to fit without damaging. You are also meant to use new bolts as apparently they are stretch bolts. Fronts for the 80 can still be obtained from TPS. They are not cheap though!
Just noticed you have a B2 so not sure the above is correct. Sorry, thought you had a B4! Oops.
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 09:09 PM   #3
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The alternative to using a hoist is jacks / stands to support the engine and box.

You'll need the car off the ground anyway so you'll need several
Old 08-03-19, 10:53 PM   #4
jimh
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The gearbox is mounted to the subframe, the engine is mounted to the body.
You can normally just undo the gearbox mounts and drop the subframe and the engine & gearbox will stay where they are. You might want to put a trolley jack under the gearbox anyway just in case you have bad engine mounts.
I dropped both subframes on my ur quattro and the engine & gaearbox stayed put with no extra support.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 12:46 PM   #5
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

not on a fwd 4 cylinder 80 B2. The engine is supported on the subframe
Old 14-03-19, 04:03 PM   #6
Sie!
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks guys, the engine is indeed fitted to the subframe on the B2.

Has anyone used an engine support bar on the B2, are the inner wings strong enough to support the engine?

Also, when supporting the engine, would you recommend removing the front engine support or leaving that in situ to help stabilise it on the hoist/crane - or is that just asking for trouble.

I'm gonna try and get something moving on this as soon as I can secure a mates ramps, I'll report back on the progress.
Sie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-19, 04:41 PM   #7
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The alternative is to lift a small amount using the hoist or crane, remove your subframe and then rest your engine / gearbox on an old tyre or some crates while you have the subframe off