DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

car is a G reg btw
DERV_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-11, 10:10 PM   #22
Gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERV_Monkey View Post
Yep codes have been checked - nothing except for the knock sensor that I disconnected before. i tried running with O2 sensor unplugged today - no change. I'm not sure if the high idle is from where I was fiddling with the screw on the throttle body or if it's pulling in unmetered air...it's testing me this car but it has been asleep for a long timeso i suppose it's to be expected
I hope you have reconnected the knock sensors? bad idea to drive with out them.

As for your idle, does the 7A have an idle control valve? have you taken this off and given it a good ol clean?

Also, my car use to have a problem where there was no power till high revs and then it would 'kick' back to life as if it had a turbo or something, lol. this turned out to be one of my injectors. Spray pattern was rubbish, but once i replaced it, the car was back to normal .
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-11, 12:34 PM   #23
DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

Curiouser and curiouser....if i take it past 5k revs the problem will manifest itself and stay like it indefinately. If I switch off the engine and restart it re-sets itself and normal service is resumedi've got a code reader and lead off ebay on order (cheers Spink) so will see what arises. In the meantime does anybody have any ideas?
DERV
Old 19-02-11, 09:40 PM   #24
b3robo
Grown up member

Nice to see a 90q on the road today, they're rarer than rockinghorse poo!

Are the TBs ok?

My coupe has a noisy fuel pump which is on its last legs, I reckon that may be causing the idling problems. As far as the hesitation issues not too sure at the mo.

May be worth giving Tom Cockings of http://www.rcmr.co.uk/ a bell, I've had my coupe there a few weeks back for some work doing and he is very good. He's done lots of work on S2 coupes but knows his way around the 7A engine and the likes. The garage is up in Yeovil, a bit of a trek but could be worth it?
b3robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-11, 12:13 AM   #25
DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

Hey, good to meet you i'll keep a look out for your CQ locally!

*Update* have read the codes and it looks like one of the knock sensors is to blame. Have had some other MAF related ones aswell so when I get a minute i'm going to strip off all the trunking and breather hoses and give everything a good spray out with carb cleaner.

Will keep ev'body posted!
Old 04-03-11, 11:45 AM   #26
DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

Sorted! It was one of the knock sensors. Pulls cleanly to the red line now, this was a relief as I didn't know where I was going to go with this if it didn't sort it. managed to take a chunk out of my hand in the process aswell which is nice.

Anyway does anybody know of an induction kit that will fit the 7a?
Old 04-03-11, 02:58 PM   #27
james brazier
Grown up member

Cone filter and heat shielding is probably the way forward. Although i did read somewhere else on the net it has been dyno proven that a cone filter gives less power than the standard air box on the 20v engine, all i have done with mine is to block off the part that sucks hot air in near the exhaust manifold, inside the airbox there is a flap as well that takes some cold air and some hot, my plan is to run a pipe or tube into the hot air part but using cold air only.
james brazier is offline   Reply With Quote