Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Type of gasket for turbo oil return line

Old 21-04-19, 08:19 PM   #1
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Type of gasket for turbo oil return line

I've got a weeping gasket-and replacements seem to be expensive for a tiny gasket.
I know I can buy sheets of gasket material for a few quid off eBay, and I've looked at many listings but I don't know the exact material I should use, or the thickness.
So the question is does anyone know the spec of gasket material and thickness please?
Also, the torque setting seems to be 25nm. This sounds pretty high for two small Allen key bolts, and I got scared as i started to tighten mine so didn't get close to that. The RR engine spec shows th torque needed as 10nm, and the bolts appear the same!!

So another question is can someone please confirm I'm getting this right and I should tighten to 25 or 10Nm?

The oil hose is number 12 on 7zap...and the bolts are 13
Thank you!
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+qu...aqs/1988-46/1/

Last edited by BackintheFold; 21-04-19 at 08:26 PM.
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-19, 08:26 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I think I may have one of these since it's the same one used on an S2. I'll pop it in the post for you

There's no way an M6 bolt gets tightened to 30Nm - they will break. 10Nm for an M6 - I don't know of any exceptions to this.

A WR uses an M8 bolt in this location which is possibly where your're seeing 30Nm.
Old 21-04-19, 09:00 PM   #3
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
I think I may have one of these since it's the same one used on an S2. I'll pop it in the post for you

There's no way an M6 bolt gets tightened to 30Nm - they will break. 10Nm for an M6 - I don't know of any exceptions to this.

A WR uses an M8 bolt in this location which is possibly where your're seeing 30Nm.
1-you are an absolute gent sir! Thanks!
2-the torque values are on Phil Payne's site. Shown as 10v at 25Nm, 20v as 10Nm. NB. No distinction made for WR and MB engines.
3-interestingly, the 7zap diagrams are wrong for the turbo. They show wr 1982 turbo chargers as being water cooled.
4-there is no 4
5-will be nice to stop the weeping, then I can put my undertrays back on.
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote