Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » URq tyres - Toyo T1-R 225 50 15 91V

Old 14-01-17, 11:22 AM   #41
mackenzie50
Grown up member

Good discussion indeed- and yes any knowledge/insight very welcome. Been wrestling with what to run mostly when S2 finally(?)back ont'road- I have 2 sets of 18" alloys both with with Eagle F2s, excellent tyres...but I also run 2sets of original alloys( 3b&aby)on Bridgestones and Firestones....intersting to compare them all back to back ( I get bored with same wheels on all the time!)and the different characteristics....adjusting my driving as necessary....no doubt 18s are best but I actually prefer the challenge of the bigger profile/ more swing& wallow of the original sizes...and heading into the verge to allow passing on narrow roads is worryfree on the well protected 16" rims...
mackenzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 11:27 AM   #42
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Ye olde Ditchfinders......
This ^^^ tried em on a Ur about 8 years ago and not great
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 11:31 AM   #43
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
I think compound technology has come on a lot recently. Sadly, that tends to favour the larger rim size. But/however, some manufacturers do produce good modern boots for 15/16" rims.

In my humble opion, I would far sooner have modern tyre technology than originality. The static contact area of a Ur tyre is probably about 2" by 7" per rim, which sounds impressive until it's attached to ancient/old and thermally tempered tyres with less than ideal water dispersion design.
I put some modern michelins in a very old classic car on a set of transport wheels and did an old car it went and stopped / felt great
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 02:31 PM   #44
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie50 View Post
....and heading into the verge to allow passing on narrow roads is worryfree on the well protected 16" rims...
This is a part of my thinking towards the cheaper end of the market....depends on what the car is used for. The state of the roads is also a factor, wrecking a £50 tyre on a pothole, tough. Wrecking a £200 tyre would be eye-watering. How much you can afford versus what they're fitted to versus how you drive it versus what you use it for......all relative.
In an ideal world we'd all have the best tyres available just to have them get flat spots from sitting in a heated garage for half the year!
I had Falkons on my last Manta (13" wheels), great in the dry but not the best in wet conditions although very predictable and great fun!........I'd have them again.
Getting used to different tyres is all part of motoring.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 03:49 PM   #45
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I still think the Goodyear Assymmetric 2 are a fantastic tyre,and impossible to beat at the price for such quality.Used them on the 2015 Tour in the S6 so 255/40 17's. A baptism of fire for sure them northerners are crazy, trying to keep up with the others in the pouring rain whilst doing silly speeds on twisty mountain/valley back roads some of it single track.But clenching stuff for me to start of with but not once did i loose grip or did it feel as if it was about to go in the pouring rain that Saturday morning. They're also superb on the dry.

I just bought a set of them for the Audi A2................ 205/40 17 £66 inc vat plus £3 delivery per tyre from Camskill. Will be free to fit as the A2 sports wheels are getting refurbed. To me thats cheap for a top quality tyre and not that more than cheap rubbish out there.Another example,i'm Looking at a set of Asymmetric 2's again for the 18" D2 avus wheels. so 255/35 18 at Camskil. £116 each inc vat plus £14 delivery.Again free fitting when the wheels are refurbed.Not a bad price in my opinion.

Hi Jimbo,i've just been looking for 16" tyres and i'm struggling to get the sizes i want using the Goodyear Asymmetric 2's. I'm looking for 225/50 16 to go on a set of fuch 16" 8J S4 C4 alloys. I'm also struggling to get asymmetric 2's for those wheels i posted on your thread the other day the 16" cabriolet 7 spokes.Factory they're 205/55/16.I can get close to those sizes but really want the exact size as Audi specified in the brochures. Can you help? Or suggest an alternative tyre thats at least as good as the Assy 2's? Thanks in advance.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 04:11 PM   #46
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
I still think the Goodyear Assymmetric 2 are a fantastic tyre,and impossible to beat at the price for such quality.Used them on the 2015 Tour in the S6 so 255/40 17's. A baptism of fire for sure them northerners are crazy, trying to keep up with the others in the pouring rain whilst doing silly speeds on twisty mountain/valley back roads some of it single track.But clenching stuff for me to start of with but not once did i loose grip or did it feel as if it was about to go in the pouring rain that Saturday morning. They're also superb on the dry.

I just bought a set of them for the Audi A2................ 205/40 17 £66 inc vat plus £3 delivery per tyre from Camskill. Will be free to fit as the A2 sports wheels are getting refurbed. To me thats cheap for a top quality tyre and not that more than cheap rubbish out there.Another example,i'm Looking at a set of Asymmetric 2's again for the 18" D2 avus wheels. so 255/35 18 at Camskil. £116 each inc vat plus £14 delivery.Again free fitting when the wheels are refurbed.Not a bad price in my opinion.

Hi Jimbo,i've just been looking for 16" tyres and i'm struggling to get the sizes i want using the Goodyear Asymmetric 2's. I'm looking for 225/50 16 to go on a set of fuch 16" 8J S4 C4 alloys. I'm also struggling to get asymmetric 2's for those wheels i posted on your thread the other day the 16" cabriolet 7 spokes.Factory they're 205/55/16.I can get close to those sizes but really want the exact size as Audi specified in the brochures. Can you help? Or suggest an alternative tyre thats at least as good as the Assy 2's? Thanks in advance.

Have a look on blackcircle.com, don't think you will find any asymmetric 2's . How ever there are some Pirelli, Conti & Michelin tyres they are all "N" marked (Homologated for Porsche) if you fit them in Vehicle sets they should give great performance as they are tuned specific for a sports cars. So a performance Audi would be great on them! T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-01-17, 05:55 PM   #47
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Have a look on blackcircle.com, don't think you will find any asymmetric 2's . How ever there are some Pirelli, Conti & Michelin tyres they are all "N" marked (Homologated for Porsche) if you fit them in Vehicle sets they should give great performance as they are tuned specific for a sports cars. So a performance Audi would be great on them! T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just looking at blackcircle.com and typed in 225/50 16 and can see i quite like the Continental sport contact it being a Porsche fitment tyre. It's a N2 rating. Just gone onto Camskill and it's cheaper there and they're offering 2 types. An N1 or an N2. Whats the difference between the 2?

I would have thought the continental sport contact would rate as good as the Asmmetric 2's, but it doesn't quite being B for wet and F for fuel economy and 71db N2 rating. Assy 2,(225/55 16) 5mm higher profile being A for wet C for economy and 69db. It's a little confusing but i guess the N rated tyre is more sports orientated in the dry?....... but not quite as good as the assymetric 2's tyre in the wet? Would that be a reasonable guess?

Cheers Mark.
Old 14-01-17, 06:18 PM   #48
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Just looking at blackcircle.com and typed in 225/50 16 and can see i quite like the Continental sport contact it being a Porsche fitment tyre. It's a N2 rating. Just gone onto Camskill and it's cheaper there and they're offering 2 types. An N1 or an N2. Whats the difference between the 2?

I would have thought the continental sport contact would rate as good as the Asmmetric 2's, but it doesn't quite being B for wet and F for fuel economy and 71db N2 rating. Assy 2,(225/55 16) 5mm higher profile being A for wet C for economy and 69db. It's a little confusing but i guess the N rated tyre is more sports orientated in the dry?....... but not quite as good as the assymetric 2's tyre in the wet? Would that be a reasonable guess?

Cheers Mark.
Hi Mark,

Tyre labelling is a bloody nightmare, And your quite right there is no rating for dry grip. But rest assured being Porsche rated they will be pretty good! They might not be the longest lasting. However there has to be a trade off somewhere. Porsche numbers work like this.

N0 : First approved tyre
N1 : Approved tyre with a few enhancements compared to the N0
N2 : Same thing, compared to N1

don't go thinking a N3 is better than a N0, the N0 could be a brand new tyre!

I love the blackcircle website as it's easy to use.

Hope its been a help.

James
Old 14-01-17, 07:58 PM   #49
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

^^^^^^^

Thanks for your help James much appreciated!
Old 15-01-17, 11:21 AM   #50
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

No Worries, Mark

One final point

Before you order from the Camskill website, Double check the load and speed index of the tyres is correct for your application. I can see one is Z and one is Y. The Y rated tyre has a load rating of 92. The Z rated tyre does not state a load rating. So I would check that both have a high enough rating for your requirements.

Enjoy what's left of your weekend