Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » painting the CQ??

Old 29-08-08, 09:41 PM   #1
Gaz

Question painting the CQ??

wasn't sure where best to post this, but here goes..

I haven't got all the parts yet, but they will need painting to match the lago blue of the rest of the car when its finally all back together.

Just wondering, have any of you got an idea of what it is going to cost to do a bonnet, a wing and a bumper?

And will lago blue be easy enough to match?

I once tried using a spray can i got from motormania , and it didn't match at all And i matched it in there book and everything, but it seems the wrong color to me.

Thanks in advance...
Gaz.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 09:44 PM   #2
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

If yours is a metallic paint then it will look different when you have put the clear coat lacquer on top. Very hard to check the match until you've added the clearcoat.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 10:04 PM   #3
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Best advice here if youre going to attempt this yourself is to take a colour pattern ( thats part of the damaged wing say) to a paint factors and let them have a look at the colour.
Lago should be easier to match up than most others like reds as they fade hellishly and are nigh on impossible to get right, you may be lucky.

There are also aerosol cans you can have mixed to your own spec now, so its doable without a spray gun- gotta bonnet to do shortly, it defeated coxy...lol :P and i already have the colour mixed and put in an aerosol to do it even though i have the paint gun.

Cost me 150 quid to have a front bumper done in Super Red about 4 years ago so probably more now..... expensive.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 11:00 PM   #4
Gaz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
If yours is a metallic paint then it will look different when you have put the clear coat lacquer on top. Very hard to check the match until you've added the clearcoat.
it is indeed metallic.. funny u should mention that, but i did wonder if it would look different with the clear lacquer on top.. but i can't find the can of lacquer i bought a while back
guess i'll have to get another. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Best advice here if youre going to attempt this yourself is to take a colour pattern ( thats part of the damaged wing say) to a paint factors and let them have a look at the colour.
Lago should be easier to match up than most others like reds as they fade hellishly and are nigh on impossible to get right, you may be lucky.

There are also aerosol cans you can have mixed to your own spec now, so its doable without a spray gun- gotta bonnet to do shortly, it defeated coxy...lol :P and i already have the colour mixed and put in an aerosol to do it even though i have the paint gun.

Cost me 150 quid to have a front bumper done in Super Red about 4 years ago so probably more now..... expensive.
£150 for bumper? humm..

my friend has a spray gun, dunno how good he is at using it, do i have to go somewhere special to get paint suitable for use with a spray gun, or just any paint factors will do?

And how much of it will I need to cover a typ-85 bonnet , bumper & wing do u think?

Also, any idea on the cost of that much paint?

cheers for your help so far
Gaz.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 12:15 AM   #5
MikeNZ
Grown up member

I think that if you are not a pro painter you should get metallic paint matched by someome who knows. It is not a matter of the right paint, it is also getting the metallic flakes to 'sit' right. Non-metallic maybe have a go yourself, but metallic, I'd just pay someone to do it properly.

Also, once the paint is mixed for one panel, painting the second and third is cheaper as the paint is already 'in the gun' so to speak.
MikeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 06:45 AM   #6
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Our Halfrauds is now mixing car paints.
Old 30-08-08, 07:32 AM   #7
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Our Halfrauds is now mixing car paints.
would you trust a spotty halfrauds employee to mix up paint!?!??!

I've used Jawel Paints in Wolves a few times, and they are good.
Also, a bit nearer to you is Autopaint International. Sounds like a big company but it's down in Hadley (nr Wellington) and the guy works in what looks like an old Anderson shelter and always seems to look high on paint fumes!!!
When I lived in Telford, he was the man to match and mix!
My mate has had some paint mixed up for his 912 in a place in Cannock. I'll get the name off him cos the match was superb.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 08:14 AM   #8
Emjay
Man Fettler Extraodinaire
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNZ View Post
I think that if you are not a pro painter you should get metallic paint matched by someome who knows. It is not a matter of the right paint, it is also getting the metallic flakes to 'sit' right. Non-metallic maybe have a go yourself, but metallic, I'd just pay someone to do it properly.

Also, once the paint is mixed for one panel, painting the second and third is cheaper as the paint is already 'in the gun' so to speak.
I'd go with Mike on this. Had a Sierra once that got bashed. It was a metallic and went back the the dealers for the work and it took them three attempts and a lot of hassle with the insurance company to get it right. So I wouldn't attempt it personally. Sometimes in life you pays for what you gets and if you don't get it right you will probably end up regretting it.
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-08, 08:28 AM   #9
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Good advice as above for sure, metallics are a pain in the bott to paint properly, even worse when they have some pearl content to them.
I can squirt paints on and get a good finish but i steer clear of metallics as they need a very high level of skill to apply correctly.
Probably better to pay for a shop to paint the items rather than try this yourself if youve not done much before.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-08, 07:52 PM   #10
Booty
Classic Audi Club Member

Autopaint Int is where I obtained my paint to do the colours on the Cq. Come in really nice aerosols with a spray nozzle that gives a lovely pattern. I would get it done right though as that is quite a big area.
2017 Mercedes GLA 220
Booty is offline   Reply With Quote