Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Interior water leak

Old 11-11-16, 04:05 PM   #1
reverend-frog
Grown up member

Default Interior water leak

I'm sure this is an age-old problem but my B4 coupe has soaking carpets in all four footwells (although the fronts don't seem as bad).

I have checked the little heater nozzles either side of the centre console and they are dry so hopefully the heater matrix is not the problem.

I have also noticed that the passenger side A-pillar trim isn't fitted properly, and there is some 'milking' on the bottom corner of the windscreen.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

I'm going to check the pollen filter housing tomorrow
reverend-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 05:33 PM   #2
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Leaves/debris in the scuttle area, causing a build up of water, which slowly seeps in. The carpets can hold a huge amount of water, so once you drain floor, don't be surprised if another gallon of liquid comes out.

Bad windscreen repair, resulting in water tracking in. If you get the screen removed intact, it can often be salvaged. The labour for this might not be far off the same amount as if the screen were accidentally and comprehensively damaged by flying stones/house bricks and you paid an excess...
Just saying.

Sunroof, if fitted, drains, blocked causing a build up of water which tracks in.
Sunroof seals.

Damaged grommets for cables, letting in build ups of rain water.
Old 12-11-16, 02:00 PM   #3
reverend-frog
Grown up member

Car doesnt have sunroof so that's not it thankfully. Heavy rainfall last night and the rear footwells are like swimming pools. Does this narrow my search?
Old 12-11-16, 06:22 PM   #4
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Have the door panels ever been off?
If so Id have a punt on the door membranes being missing or holed, could also be the door seals or water getting in through a missing grommet.
Easiest way to find any leak is to get in the car and have someone start at the front of the car with a hosepipe while you look for leaks as they slowly mover over the car.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-16, 05:09 PM   #5
reverend-frog
Grown up member

Haven't had the door cards off yet, but after another night of rainfall (and a new swimming pool in the rear footwells) i felt around the bottom of the passenger door and the carpet on the bottom of the door pockets was wet to the touch. definitely suggests missing/damaged membrane.
Old 14-11-16, 05:13 PM   #6
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend-frog View Post
Haven't had the door cards off yet, but after another night of rainfall (and a new swimming pool in the rear footwells) i felt around the bottom of the passenger door and the carpet on the bottom of the door pockets was wet to the touch. definitely suggests missing/damaged membrane.

it is surprising how much water Coupe or Cabbie doors hold when the drain holes are blocked, guess how i know

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote