Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » "Injecting" more power?

Old 27-09-10, 09:14 PM   #21
Blackie
Grown up member

Default "Injecting" more power?

Yea but like I say, you start there, you could continue with, why do this or why do that to your car, we all do these things cause we can or we want to

And yea, being a mechanic(with lots of vauxhall knowledge), I have understood that it is part of a big plan.

Don't get me wrong, the car is no slouch and has made a few faces red, including my mate who has a 120bhp 1.8 vectra!
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-10, 09:31 PM   #22
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

OK, back on topic.

Have you fitted a freeer flowing exhaust?

Induction kit?
Old 27-09-10, 09:57 PM   #23
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Im of the opinion that people do what they want to a car because they have an affinity for it.

Its not necessarily a case of not bothering because theres a better way, its a challenge and something different.
I turbocharged the golfs 1.8 engine (8 valver) because i wanted that difference from what everyone else was doing ( 16 valvers and 1.8t) so the o/p's position is to me at least perfectly understandable.

If you think i can help out, shout up.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-10, 11:58 PM   #24
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Why fit a better sound system, bigger/nicer wheels, lower suspension, different seats. . . . . .
Yep, I also dunno why to do that, after all it makes car uglier and less road worthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpdriver View Post
OK, back on topic.

Have you fitted a freeer flowing exhaust?

Induction kit?
Point of these two things? I'm usually loudly laughing when I notice that small NA engine has a com[n]ical filter - and stuff u are calling "freeer flowing exhaust" in these cases increase my confidence that owner of such car is "wannaberacer". Both of these gives usually nothing but additional expenses and inconvenience and maybe less mileage. Filter - usually in similarly sized box are filters for stock engines up to 300+ bhp, and only after that audi installs two filter boxes - and not com[n]ical filter. So for small L4 NA engine it's more than enough anyway Not to mention about inconvenience of comical filter. Exhaust - have u ever owned car with loud exhaust? I was using my former A80 for 2 months without just rear silencer, because it fall of regularly once in month and I didn't placed it back for a time - never again Even that was too much for comfortable driving outside city. In latvia those, who thinks that it's stylish to drive around with loud car, sometimes got a lesson, when their car is pinstriped or damaged in other way. I think that's ok, after all I think it's normal that some chaps might want to sleep in night. And knowing basic principles of engine operation and the fact that nobody goes to dyno before and after installing straight pipe exhaust, there's doubt if it gives some extra power anyway.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-10, 06:53 AM   #25
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Yep, I also dunno why to do that, after all it makes car uglier and less road worthy

Point of these two things? I'm usually loudly laughing when I notice that small NA engine has a com[n]ical filter - and stuff u are calling "freeer flowing exhaust" in these cases increase my confidence that owner of such car is "wannaberacer". Both of these gives usually nothing but additional expenses and inconvenience and maybe less mileage. Filter - usually in similarly sized box are filters for stock engines up to 300+ bhp, and only after that audi installs two filter boxes - and not com[n]ical filter. So for small L4 NA engine it's more than enough anyway Not to mention about inconvenience of comical filter. Exhaust - have u ever owned car with loud exhaust? I was using my former A80 for 2 months without just rear silencer, because it fall of regularly once in month and I didn't placed it back for a time - never again Even that was too much for comfortable driving outside city. In latvia those, who thinks that it's stylish to drive around with loud car, sometimes got a lesson, when their car is pinstriped or damaged in other way. I think that's ok, after all I think it's normal that some chaps might want to sleep in night. And knowing basic principles of engine operation and the fact that nobody goes to dyno before and after installing straight pipe exhaust, there's doubt if it gives some extra power anyway.
Not necessarily straight pipe. Just bigger bore, with silencers.

I fitted an induction kit to mine. Not a cone filter as it is K-Jet. I didn't dyno it before and after but it has not affected the MPG, insurance cost or running when cold. It does sound good, and "seems" (qualitative) to rev easier.
Old 28-09-10, 08:33 AM   #26
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
In your opinion.

Quote:
Point of these two things?
Why fit a different stereo? Or suspension? Because they may well be marginal from the factory!
Unservoed Polo brakes anyone?

Quote:
I'm usually loudly laughing when I notice that small NA engine has a com[n]ical filter - and stuff u are calling "freeer flowing exhaust" in these cases increase my confidence that owner of such car is "wannaberacer".
Anything that makes the engine more efficient in terms of mass flow through it will do two things: A) make it more powerful. B) Use more fuel.
One is a consequence of the other and the cubic capacity that youre laughing at makes no difference to that principle.

Quote:
Both of these gives usually nothing but additional expenses and inconvenience and maybe less mileage. Filter - usually in similarly sized box are filters for stock engines up to 300+ bhp, and only after that audi installs two filter boxes - and not com[n]ical filter. So for small L4 NA engine it's more than enough anyway Not to mention about inconvenience of comical filter.
A primary cause of power loss in the induction tract is? Pressure drop through an air filter. Oems tend to use paper element air filters because theyre both efficient and cheap to produce. However, efficiency drops off quickly when they get dirty, a cotton/gauze filter dosent, but id tend to replace the oem one with a flat panel filter to fit the box and retain its tuned length.
Toyotas nearly all have this tuned induction tract but thats not to say it has no room for improvement by using a better filter.

Quote:
Exhaust - have u ever owned car with loud exhaust? I was using my former A80 for 2 months without just rear silencer, because it fall of regularly once in month and I didn't placed it back for a time - never again Even that was too much for comfortable driving outside city.
Yes. I had an Audi Coupe GT with an exhaust that used to resonate in glorious 5 bangerness, it did have a downside or two, not because it was too loud, but because it used to set off car alarms (frequency) when driving past and it had a tendency to boom at motorway cruising speeds. Apart from the booming it was lovely.

Quote:
In latvia those, who thinks that it's stylish to drive around with loud car, sometimes got a lesson, when their car is pinstriped or damaged in other way. I think that's ok, after all I think it's normal that some chaps might want to sleep in night. And knowing basic principles of engine operation and the fact that nobody goes to dyno before and after installing straight pipe exhaust, there's doubt if it gives some extra power anyway.
Criminal damage must be "ok" in Latvia.......

Straight pipes always are better than silenced ones where powers concerned.
F1, indycar, dragsters etc dont use them because mufflers impede flow, usually by restriction, absorbtion or reflection.
Old 28-09-10, 08:53 AM   #27
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

but Tony, what do you know about anything!!!! You;d think you had reworked cylinder heads or sumfink???
Old 28-09-10, 08:54 AM   #28
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

ferkin 'ell. MSH is in Peterborough now, moved down from Scotland.... he's gonna knock us all off!
Old 28-09-10, 09:23 AM   #29
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpdriver View Post
but Tony, what do you know about anything!!!! You;d think you had reworked cylinder heads or sumfink???
Lol!
Old 28-09-10, 09:25 AM   #30
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Toyotas nearly all have this tuned induction tract but thats not to say it has no room for improvement by using a better filter.

so do dihatsu charades!. sort of what i was getting at..

i wasn't saying 'dont ever deviate from stock' sometimes its a great idea! just...be carefull what you spend your money on
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote