Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Fuel starvation - Petrol tank issues

Old 25-04-19, 12:18 PM   #1
EvoMalc
Grown up member

Default Fuel starvation - Petrol tank issues

my 90 B3 quattro has started to suffer from fuel starvation again.
I have had the tank out of the boot once already and flushed it as best as I could, lots of rust flakes and silt in it and for that last few months it ran fine. Now the problem is back.
When I managed to look inside the tank the last time I noted ithere is a fine mesh "filter" over the "sump" where the pick up and return pipes go. I can't get to it except by cutting the bottom of the tank out which I really don't want to do.
Anybody got any tricks or ideas about a more effective method of flushing the tank?

The pump is fine, the filter new and when I take the line from the tank to the pump off the fuel just dribbles suggesting the blockage (again) in the tank.
Thanks,
Malc
EvoMalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 04:23 PM   #2
sporttrucker
Grown up member

can you try flushing the tank through from the outlet? probably need it out of the car and upside down so drains out of the level sensor hole, I rigged up a fuel pump with filter before it and ran fuel round in a circuit on a golf with similar problem. on my 80 quattro it had a hole cut in the tank and welded up so think its had the gauze removed. have seen a thread where they pulled the gauze out with a piece of wire.
sporttrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 04:27 PM   #3
sporttrucker
Grown up member

https://forums.quattroworld.com/4000/msgs/68637.phtml this thread has pics of the inside of the tank if it helps
sporttrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 10:36 PM   #4
EvoMalc
Grown up member

Appreciate the replies, thanks.
Guess what this weekend's job is!
Old 26-04-19, 06:50 AM   #5
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Silly question, can’t you wash it out with a pressure washer and snow foam/detergent? Far less likely to blow yourself up. Just rinse it properly and with the warmer weather it’ll dry out in the sunshine nicely.
Old 26-04-19, 08:38 AM   #6
EvoMalc
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Silly question, can’t you wash it out with a pressure washer and snow foam/detergent? Far less likely to blow yourself up. Just rinse it properly and with the warmer weather it’ll dry out in the sunshine nicely.
Hum NE Scotland, sunny weather?
This will all be included inthe process!