Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » Clutch Slave cylinder removal

Old 18-05-19, 07:03 PM   #1
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Clutch Slave cylinder removal

Very frustrating morning.
I undid the bolt to remove the slave cylinder, but couldn't see a "retaining clip" referenced on Phil Paynes removal instructions. So I tried moving the cylinder and failed.

I've checked 7zap which doesn't show a retaining clip. Does anyone have a picture of what I'm supposed to remove please?
I'm thinking if I got the clip off the slave might move. Trying to drift it out from the engine bay will probably need two people-one below to line up the drift, one above to knock it back.
Thanks!
Oh-and the slave needs to be rotated clockwise (looking from the back of the car) about 30degtees or it can't be drifted backwards due to a "lip" on the gearbox.
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 07:43 PM   #2
Groundhog
Grown up member

If yours is held by a bolt it will not have a clip. The bolted type should come away easily, once the bolt is out just give the cylinder a lever sideways so the bolt flange clears the recess on the gearbox and it should simply drop away.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 08:06 PM   #3
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Over on the S2 Forum, Newsh has just posted a pic in his Ur thread which you may find helpful. Bottom of page.
https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...project/page17
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 08:28 PM   #4
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for those tips-the picture is good to see what the cylinder looks like in place, I'm not sure mine will fall out-but I didn't lever it too much, and what I did was vertical rather than horizontal.
Now I'm in a quandary. The car drives as is, and so I can take it to an mot to find out what else may need doing. If I get stuck with the cylinder I'll have to cancel the mot.
And I've only got evenings to work on it....outside...gamble time...
Old 18-05-19, 08:36 PM   #5
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

It's easy for me to say sitting here with my glass of wine but I would crack on and change it. Sounds like you are already half way there and the weather isn't too bad at the moment. If it fails totally in rainy November you will regret not cracking on!

It's probably never been changed and the alloy corrosion has built up around where it fits and welded itself in. Spray the join with lots of WD40 or penetrating oil and leave it overnight. I'm sure it will pop out no problem tomorrow morning with fresh hands and new enthusiasm
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 09:01 PM   #6
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Hahah! Yes. Easy to say...
I can't spare tomorrow to do it again. But it absolutely needs doing. I have to keep topping up the reservoir and the master 'seems' dry.
Old 18-05-19, 09:52 PM   #7
Groundhog
Grown up member

Does yours look like the one in the picture? The one in the picture is not held in with a bolt but by a roll pin that needs drifting out, this type has a ‘ sprung clip that passes through the roll pin. This type do ‘freeze’ into bell housing and can be very difficult to remove. I’m assuming as you said you removed a bolt that yours is a later type? If so it should not stick because it does not sleeve into the bell housing, it may be necessary to first push or lever the cylinder forward against the hydraulic pressure then sideways and out.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 10:29 PM   #8
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The MB cars had the bolt version.
Old 19-05-19, 12:22 PM   #9
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Mines definitely the bolt!
Glad there's no clip.