Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » B4 avant sunroof

Old 28-04-18, 05:37 PM   #1
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default B4 avant sunroof

Hi,

I'm after a sunroof cassette for said vehicle. It only tilts and slides on 1 side. Before I take it out and realise it's unrepairable I'd like to have a back up. Your help would be much appreciated to help me get (Marks-VDT) old avant back to it's former glory. Not name dropping or anything
Peacedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-18, 06:10 PM   #2
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm very pleased you bought my old car and the love it's getting, all credit to you!

I'm not 100% sure but as far as i can tell from 7zap Avant and Saloon could be the same cassette? Which would widen the search a bit?

It's been exactly 9 years since i sold her so memory could be a little of,.......... but i think it's a broken plastic piece in there something very small yet significant.

Are you on fb? I could try for you on there if your not?

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-18, 06:37 PM   #3
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
I'm very pleased you bought my old car and the love it's getting, all credit to you!

I'm not 100% sure but as far as i can tell from 7zap Avant and Saloon could be the same cassette? Which would widen the search a bit?

It's been exactly 9 years since i sold her so memory could be a little of,.......... but i think it's a broken plastic piece in there something very small yet significant.

Are you on fb? I could try for you on there if your not?

Hi again Mark,

Sorry yes I forgot to mention about the saloon. I too checked 7zap and saw the different parts but because it literally doesn't even try to move on the drivers side, tilt or slide it seems as though it's a cable or chain. I actually have a saloon (20vt) with electric sunroof but I'm in 2 minds what I'm doing with it so I'm going to leave it be for the time being. You can never have too many spares!

Not on fb, gets me in trouble,lol even though it is getting quite popular with forums etc

Last edited by Peacedub; 28-04-18 at 06:39 PM.
Old 28-04-18, 06:47 PM   #4
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedub View Post
I actually have a saloon (20vt) with electric sunroof but I'm in 2 minds what I'm doing with it so I'm going to leave it be for the time being. You can never have too many spares!

Not on fb, gets me in trouble,lol even though it is getting quite popular with forums etc
Is this 20VT saloon a B4 by any chance?

I've put the feelers out already over there just in case, there's a few folk on there who hardly ever do the forums anymore so hopefully something might show up?
Old 28-04-18, 06:51 PM   #5
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Is this 20VT saloon a B4 by any chance?

I've put the feelers out already over there just in case, there's a few folk on there who hardly ever do the forums anymore so hopefully something might show up?
Thanks Mark, very much appreciated. Yes it's a B4 saloon with a 4 pot BAM. Was going to throw it in one of my coupes but I daren't in case I ruin it,lol.
Old 28-04-18, 08:01 PM   #6
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The response so far was this, not sure of it's of any help?

"It’s probably the cog you can grab them on eBay mate, just take the top of the motor and check the cogs inside haven’t slipped, whilst the motors out retract by hand to ensure it’s not seized and put it back together. I may have one for a estate.. send me a pic of the motor"
Old 03-06-18, 03:30 PM   #7
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
The response so far was this, not sure of it's of any help?

"It’s probably the cog you can grab them on eBay mate, just take the top of the motor and check the cogs inside haven’t slipped, whilst the motors out retract by hand to ensure it’s not seized and put it back together. I may have one for a estate.. send me a pic of the motor"
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the late response. I've managed to get the sunroof out after battling with audi's copious amounts of factory glue. After breaking a few parts stripping down the mech then glueing them back together I saw your post regarding the cog in the motor. I think you may be right, it looks very worn and only catching one worm gear. The motor is not seized, it does both full cycles on the microswitch. I've not figured out how to attach pictures yet. Part number of motor is 895 877 795 D.

Steve
Old 03-06-18, 03:35 PM   #8
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The cog on mine was worn, I found that turning it over put a fresher part of the teeth into play and acted as a fix

The cogs do come upon fleabay regularly
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 03:43 PM   #9
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
The cog on mine was worn, I found that turning it over put a fresher part of the teeth into play and acted as a fix

The cogs do come upon fleabay regularly
To be fair it's worn quite evenly. It catches the top worm gear (left side open/close etc) but not bottom work gear. You can see on the motor casing where both work gears sit and you can see where it will catch one but not the other. Do you have a link for the cogs? Dont really want to purchase a motor when mine works fine and will probably get the same issue over time.

I've found a cog online for an A4. Right dimensions but had 18 teeth. Mine has 19? And yes I re counted many times,lol

Last edited by Peacedub; 03-06-18 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 05:06 PM   #10
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedub View Post
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the late response. I've managed to get the sunroof out after battling with audi's copious amounts of factory glue. After breaking a few parts stripping down the mech then glueing them back together I saw your post regarding the cog in the motor. I think you may be right, it looks very worn and only catching one worm gear. The motor is not seized, it does both full cycles on the microswitch. I've not figured out how to attach pictures yet. Part number of motor is 895 877 795 D.

Steve
Hi Steve, good the motor still works it always worked for me it was just that it wouldn't retract the sunroof itself but always raised
itself as far as i can remember. Great to hear your tackling the job, hopefully you'll find a cog and let us know whether this fixs it all.