Classic Audi » Technical » Technical Info » Renovation kit for brake master cylinder

Old 31-05-18, 04:42 PM   #1
Niklas.L
Newbie!

Default Renovation kit for brake master cylinder

My Audi 100 2.3 quattro -92 is leaking from its master cylinder, between the oil reservoir and the master cylinder itself. I have just driven with it as is before, since the brakes worked fine and I only had to top up occasionally. Now however the warning light for the brakes are always blinking, before I just topped up on brake fluid and it stopped. So I think its time to fix it. I could just go to a junkyard and pick up another one, but is there a repair/renovation kit on the market one could buy?
And do you think this could have anything with the problems I've described in the thread below? The brakes are controlled partly by vakuum.
http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=36240

Best regards

Niklas
Niklas.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-18, 04:53 PM   #2
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Hey Niklas,

I don't know enough to say whether your other problems are related to this, but I have been told that getting into a master cylinder is a brutal process, so it may be better to purchase a new one for all that repairing it would entail.....

I know there are wiser heads on this forum...
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-18, 05:55 PM   #3
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Did mine, it was just a circlip to get access and a seal kit thereafter. Straightforward stuff as long as you are careful and keep it clean
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-18, 08:57 PM   #4
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Hey Niklas,

I don't know enough to say whether your other problems are related to this, but I have been told that getting into a master cylinder is a brutal process, so it may be better to purchase a new one for all that repairing it would entail.....

I know there are wiser heads on this forum...
In this case it would be something akin to buying a new car because ashtray of existing one is full... For your info - master cylinder is the cast iron or aluminium part itself, while reservoir is reservoir, it could be removed or changed - and it sits in two rubber seals.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-18, 09:04 PM   #5
msh
4 ring whore!

What I just did - I opened up ebay, wrote "volkswagen brake master cylinder reservoir seals" and ended up with this https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...seals&_sacat=0 . I wrote volkswagen, because both used Girling stuff, but VW is internationally more popular.

As for your engine running problems - it's hard to point at something - I usually just go over all the system checking if all is fine. I've created KE-jetronic diagnostic thread in this forum, btw.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 06:53 PM   #6
Niklas.L
Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
What I just did - I opened up ebay, wrote "volkswagen brake master cylinder reservoir seals" and ended up with this https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...seals&_sacat=0 . I wrote volkswagen, because both used Girling stuff, but VW is internationally more popular.

As for your engine running problems - it's hard to point at something - I usually just go over all the system checking if all is fine. I've created KE-jetronic diagnostic thread in this forum, btw.
Thanks for the tip. I did a simple search myself and found a repair kit with some seals.
Also read the thread you did about diagnostics on the KE-jetronic system. I will give it another go when I get back home on trying to locate the fault.
Niklas.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 09:28 AM   #7
Au200tq
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Try onlinecarparts.co.uk
Au200tq is offline   Reply With Quote