Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Audi 80 Quattro B2 10v turbo conversion

Old 01-06-17, 06:34 AM   #1
babagreystoke
Newbie!

Default Audi 80 Quattro B2 10v turbo conversion

Hi People

Im embarking on a turbo conversion of an Audi 80 quattro B2 1.8 cc , engine from a 86 200 turbo,
Im looking for advise on the most economical and effective way to uprate the suspension

thanks in advance

Andy
babagreystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 07:39 AM   #2
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi, Some sort of five cylinder uprated front coil springs that fit your original struts, the rear will need changed as well but possibly 4 cylinder unrated coil springs, shocks would need to be adjustable Koni's for me, this would stop the nose of the car bobbing like a porpoise on acceleration and diving on braking, 26mm anti-roll bar as well, the question I would ask you is why a 10v turbo? I know the reply will be because I have one but it is old hat, trust me I have loved all my 10v engines and there little quirks, I was also told in the past that the 20v engine was the way to go and though I knew better but on normal day running any 20v engine will start better rum smoother and give you power throughout the rev range and better miles to the gallon (unleaded), and sounds nice to, copy and paste this you tube link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzeMegEQ9o
The short vid is my B2 Audi coupe GT with 2.3Lt 7A 20v engine, photo below of B2 coupe engine bay, looks nice too.
[IMG][/IMG]
If you find a cheap way of upgrading the front brakes please put up a post because the std. 256mm x 20mm front discs are on or over their limit depending how you drive.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 08:00 AM   #3
babagreystoke
Newbie!

Default Colin

Thanks Colin for your very quick reply

Yeah , its because I have one

The car is also LHD and in Belgrade , Serbia where I have a workshop and restore all sorts of oldies with a relative of my wife

The 200 turbo is running but a breaker , so will have a lot of other parts for anyone on here

When you talk about 20v are you specific to the UR and 200 turbos or will a later version fit , sorry im a bit of a jack of all trades when it comes to oldies but im genuinely enthusiastic , soory im not an expert on Audis
I had an Italian UR ten years ago , digi dash 10v and the voice box spoke in Italian ! Sold that into Germany many moons ago regretfully!
Old 01-06-17, 08:50 AM   #4
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi, sounds like a good project! Mr Aitchison's coupe there has a 7A non-turbo five cylinder 20v there, great engine in a smaller car, if you have a 7A!

20v turbo five cylinders were in some 200s, the last Ur, the urs4/6, s2, rs2 etc. More easily modified, better fuel system, better head, all together a more modern engine than a 10v turbo, but doesn't sound as good as a 10v yours will probably be a KG engine, tuneable to an extent until the fuel system runs out of headroom but it matters not, it'll still go like a rocket in a B2.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 09:41 AM   #5
msh
4 ring whore!

You're about to have rather troublesome project, as you have the wrong car to start with. First of all, bodyshell has some differences between 4 and 5 pots - you will need to source the part which is behind bumper/grille, if you want to do it properly, as it's different, and good donor - A90 or five pot coupe is hard to find - or build something from some tubing, if you just want the function in an ugly way. Then you will need to get engine mounts from five pot car, B2, B3, coupes, or any 4/5 pot B4, and weld them in your car, as you have engine mounted on a subframe. I don't know about gearbox, will it force you to have smaller clutch than 5 pot gearbox or not, but there was something as well. Air filter box will also need to be modified [I've heard that box from 80's fords with K-jet could be used], as the C3 box won't fit.

As for suspension - just get front springs from any 5 pot B2/B3. I guess you already have 26 mm stabilisator.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 09:56 AM   #6
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

babagreystoke, The engine in the B2 coupe is from a 1991 coupe with 4 plug ECU the exhaust manifold has been uprated from the cast manifold to the 5 into 1 tubular manifold from the early 20v cars, I have two 20v cars one turbo one non-turbo and two 10v turbo Ur quattro's
and love them all, you can only work with what you have and believe me I know that.
Hey missfire the last time someone called me Mr Aitchison I was in court so please, it's Colin
if you don't mind.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 11:49 AM   #7
babagreystoke
Newbie!

Default To all

Thanks Guys for all the imput !

Much appreciated ,

Msh , im in Serbia and have the whole car , the 200 turbo auto for parts, so maybe I can use the engine mounts from that and other parts?
When you say the part behind the grill and bumper , you mean the front panel under the slam panel right? And I need to get that from any B2 5 cylinder model?

Thankfully my wifes cuz who I work with is a genius with metal work and paint , Ive seen him weld a car out of fresh air

We sub all the mechanical work out and theres some lively fellas down here but like everywhere you don't want to look too stupid when planning a job

Anyway im up to my ears in work here and only just got the B2 quattro , im stoked with it , ex switzerland , cracked paint and custom refurbed seats but never welded and a straight car , panels and one click closed doors , tidy undamaged dash , goes alright for a 1.8 as well...........how do I post pics here ?
Old 01-06-17, 03:12 PM   #8
msh
4 ring whore!

No, C series is a different thing - I already mentioned where the mounts must come from.

With "part behind bumper" I meant the beam which currently holds your radiator - on five pot engines it's way more up.

Since you say that this car is so tidy, I would suggest you to do 1.8T swap instead and keep that A200 stuff for something else.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 10:59 PM   #9
babagreystoke
Newbie!

Thanks msh

What exact 1.8T are you refering to?
Old 02-06-17, 08:47 AM   #10
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

The modern A4/A6 1.8T 20v (five valve four pot). It has been done on here on a thread, in a B3 maybe I think, sorry I can't remember the name of the thread, someone will.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote