Classic Audi Technical Mech/Tech Engine » Engine performance 1Z audi 80 cabriolet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-18, 12:15 PM   #1
fritzvis
Grown up member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default Engine performance 1Z audi 80 cabriolet

Hi,

This winter I bought an 1Z audi 80 Cabriolet 90pk (1.9 tdi). I gave the engine a good service this winter:
- new oil and filter
- new air filter
- new belts (timing, waterpump belt, alternator belt)
- new radiator
- new waterpump
- new intercooler
- new coolant sensors
- new thermostat
- fresh coolant
...
The car has 185000 miles on the clock.
There is no excessive smoke from exhaust, there are now weird noises from engine... car start's on first turn of key and idles very smooth...
So now I tested it's performance (for what it's worth ) and came to bit of a surprise...
Normally car should reach 60miles/hour at about 14 seconds. It took my car 21 seconds
What could be reason of this loss of performance? It could be turbo, but shouldn't there be a lot of smoke from the exhaust? EGR valve? Injectors? ... Any toughts are welcome before I start breaking down the engine... How can I check different componants for malfunction? thanks for all the help...

Last edited by fritzvis; 26-03-18 at 12:21 PM.
fritzvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 04:56 PM   #2
spink
Senior Member
Classic Audi Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 1,480
Default

fuel pump timing checked?
spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 05:19 PM   #3
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member
 
John.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scottish Borders.
Posts: 6,497
Default

Inlet manifold can get restrictive due to build up of crap?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 05:24 PM   #4
fritzvis
Grown up member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Inlet manifold can get restrictive due to build up of crap?
Due to EGR valve? Is it a lot of work to disassemble and check/clean if needed?
fritzvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 05:39 PM   #5
larry49
Newbie!
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
Default

Do a pressure test on the turbo output under boost with an accurate gauge.
larry49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 05:39 PM   #6
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member
 
John.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scottish Borders.
Posts: 6,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzvis View Post
Due to EGR valve? Is it a lot of work to disassemble and check/clean if needed?
I'm not sure, but the tdi I owned before was noticeably better than the one I have now. The previous owner of the first one had replaced the manifold with a spare one he had "de-gunked".
I need to give mine some love and this is one of the jobs to do!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 05:43 PM   #7
msh
4 ring whore!
 
msh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rucava, Latvija
Posts: 3,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzvis View Post
What could be reason of this loss of performance?
How about chance that gasket between steering wheel and drivers seat is suboptimal for the car in question? I, for example, am quite sure I won't get out 8 seconds out of my golf, despite it should be capable of that - simply because I'm not drag racer and I don't know what is the optimal acceleration profile for it.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 05:46 PM   #8
fritzvis
Grown up member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
How about chance that gasket between steering wheel and drivers seat is suboptimal for the car in question? I, for example, am quite sure I won't get out 8 seconds out of my golf, despite it should be capable of that - simply because I'm not drag racer and I don't know what is the optimal acceleration profile for it.
A 7 second difference I'm a licenced rally driver... that doesn't make me quick... but 7 seconds
fritzvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 08:31 PM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!
 
msh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rucava, Latvija
Posts: 3,803
Default

7 second difference here is just 50% increase in time; something like if I would clock my golf at 12 seconds instead of 8.

I've seen videos of how diesel fans accelerate in their cars in drag race - I don't know about you but I'm not sure if I would like to do something like that - first, roaring engine at high rpm at start, then start with spinning tyres, then acceleration with shift points @ 4k or above. Did you tried your acceleration like that?

If you really care about performance of your engine, I would suggest you to see how much boost does it have and/or put it on dyno.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-18, 05:08 AM   #10
fritzvis
Grown up member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Belgium
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
7 second difference here is just 50% increase in time; something like if I would clock my golf at 12 seconds instead of 8.

I've seen videos of how diesel fans accelerate in their cars in drag race - I don't know about you but I'm not sure if I would like to do something like that - first, roaring engine at high rpm at start, then start with spinning tyres, then acceleration with shift points @ 4k or above. Did you tried your acceleration like that?

If you really care about performance of your engine, I would suggest you to see how much boost does it have and/or put it on dyno.
That's true I did it a more gentleman's way but still a 50% difference is questionable... I think it's a good thing to check boost and EGR...
fritzvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2007-2008 Classic Audi | Site by Roadrunna