Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » partially dead electrics

Old 23-07-08, 07:35 AM   #1
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Unhappy partially dead electrics

As posted on quattro forum:

I will find this problem no doubt but could anyone who has sufferred this let me know to save me a lot of time and grief from my wife regards 'are you working on that car again' would be much appreciated.

I came into work in the Cq this morning and all was fine, once here I realised I had left my laptop behind. Doh! Went back to the car to come home and turned on the ignition and...nothing! The engine started and ran thank goodness but virtually anything not engine related is dead. I can hear the ignition Aux relay clicking in but I have nothing. Am lucky the engine started so I could get back home where it resides looking very sorry for itself.
Haven't had chance to check everything but the following is dead. :-
Rev counter, Water temp, Fuel gauge, Centre console gauges, indicators, dash lamps, alternator(ign lamp comes on all the time as obviously no supply on exciter wire).
This is definately still working:- Fuel pump, interior fan, electric windows, stereo,
Will have a full list of what is and is not working once I get home tonight. Hoping its just a wire come off the bottom of the fusebox!
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-08, 10:50 AM   #2
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Id definitely be checking the fusebox to see if a connector has come loose or otherwise become disconnected or burnt out.

I went through two early coupe fuseboxes on mine and the whole car died both times apart from the starter motor.
Turned out the early type fuseboxes used to burn the pcb out on the power pins inside and these were replaced later on with a very sturdy and improved brass bus bar type, like on the mk2 golfs.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-08, 10:59 AM   #3
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Something simple!

I am convinced it has to be something simple, though it is strange how one minute everything was OK and the next time I jump in it's dead. All wiring for the engine will be ok as I always solder and heatshrink all connections to avoid just this type of thing. Keen to get home and sort the old girl but stuck here at work until this machine is up and running again.
Will mean removing the glovebox yet again as the 20Vt wiring leaves little room to see anything. Not looking forward to it. Better get it sorted properly asap as supposed to be using it for our hols to Southern Ireland in a couple of weeks, Typical!
Old 23-07-08, 06:55 PM   #4
joe90
Grown up member

Hi there, is the ignition black box ok, loose wires ect, used to be quite a comon fault on fords along with positive terminal on the battery, done plenty of these over the years. Just a thought
joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-08, 06:49 AM   #5
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default sorted or maybe not

Well I looked at cct diagrams last night and it told me to look at fuse 12 and sure enough on pulling it out it fell to pieces in my hands. Question now is why did a 15Amp fuse blow when it is presently running fine with the only spare I had, a 10Amp. Will have to see if it goes again! Hate these type of faults
Old 26-07-08, 06:04 PM   #6
Octanejunkie
Grown up member

It will run with a 10 amp ok, cos in normal running and operation the amps are quite low. It only becomes stronger as more things are used/switched on. Fuse ratings are, as a rule of thumb, slightly higher than the full current flow to be expected of that circuit so as to prtect the wiring.
A 10 amp fuse is even safer than a 15 amp.

sometimes fuses just blow, and the reason can be a spooky mystery never to rear its head again.....
Normal causes are chaffed live wires earthing to the body or engine somewhere. Just check there are no pinched wires anywhere.
You haven't recently fitted a stereo or anything have you?
Octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote