Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Can You Decipher This ?

Old 18-12-20, 03:55 AM   #1
TheTwelveQuidKid
Grown up member

Send a message via AIM to TheTwelveQuidKid
Default Can You Decipher This ?

I was just cleaning up a spare head I bought a few weeks ago. I'm told it's from a Mk1 Golf 1.8. I'd assumed it had solid tappets, but after trying to check the clearances, it seems to have hydraulic tappets. I'm not sure what these casting marks and numbers mean. Can anyone identify them.

TheTwelveQuidKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 04:53 PM   #2
esseff
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

This any help?

https://www.b-parts.com/en/store/pro...996-1997-1998/
esseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-20, 07:00 PM   #3
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I'd say that's a March 88 casting. Well after the introduction of hydraulic tappets

026 103 373 Q is the casting for the head - not a populated head part number. There's one on Ebay but they don't specify 1.6 or 1.8.

Some heads can be used on both
Old 19-12-20, 01:44 AM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Photo 1 will largely be irrelevant to any but those in the QA process. Especially now. At the time, it would help identify a number of things-

Which casting moulds
Which production batch, etc.
If a major defect, say metallurgy, was identified, they could focus on particular batches, or particular suppliers.
If the final machining process started having problems, these marks might identify which blanks were a problem. Maybe a worn pattern.
You’ll see similar things in plastic components all over the place.

The base casting number is another matter. That base casting will then go on to be used for any number of applications, with minor variations, depending upon the final assembly.
For instance, if memory serves, the base casting on a WR head is actually the same as that on several normally aspirated, 5 cyl coupes. It’s just a mechanical 5 cylinder head configuration.

Some of that detail used to be easily looked up, back when John Griffiths, et al, were part of the system.

If you look with a critical eye at a number of WR heads, from several years, you’ll see some large variations in the castings.
Old 19-12-20, 05:38 AM   #5
TheTwelveQuidKid
Grown up member

Thanks for all the replies and info on that.

The listing said it was a MK1 Golf head, but when I asked the seller the year of car it came from, he said E reg, (as in August 1987 to July 1988) and that the head had been in his shed for 20 years.

If that's the case, won't the hydraulic tappets need replacing by now, on the basis that at least some of them will have been compressed for an extended period of time ? Or will they just revive themselves once the head is fitted and they're on the receiving end of some oil pressure again ?

This does also raise another question, which is if I do need to replace them, how do I obtain the correct hydraulic tappets for a head when I don't have a vin or registration number for the car it was originally on ?
Old 19-12-20, 08:10 AM   #6
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Have you removed one to see if there are markings on them? Shouldn't be difficult to identify a replacement once you have one in hand with accurate measurements.
If you can't find replacements, you can put them in an old saucepan, fill the pan with engine oil and simmer gently for a few hours. The crud should come out. Repeat with clean oil if necessary. Check you can compress each one smoothly before using.
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-20, 05:23 PM   #7
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Ah hah. Penny drops- I put it down to the fog of jet lag when reading the initial post.

Just as the basic heads have a variety of applications, you’ll also find the same lifters used throughout, and across many models in the VAG group, and years. I’ve only had two problematic lifters across several engines, and each responded to a decent cleaning.
I vaguely recall using a syringe to flush a couple. When I costed up replacement of a full set, it wasn’t too bad (not completely eye watering) for a V8-32v, which actually uses many of the same bits as a twin cam golf!

Pete Reeve/quattrocorner might be able to give you more insight into what model it truly belongs to, if you don’t find any other identifying markings.
Old 23-12-20, 06:54 AM   #8
TheTwelveQuidKid
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor Dave View Post
........... you can put them in an old saucepan, fill the pan with engine oil and simmer gently for a few hours. The crud should come out. Repeat with clean oil if necessary. Check you can compress each one smoothly before using.
Never heard of that, but what a good idea. Thanks. I might give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
......Just as the basic heads have a variety of applications, you’ll also find the same lifters used throughout, and across many models in the VAG group, and years. I’ve only had two problematic lifters across several engines, and each responded to a decent cleaning.
I vaguely recall using a syringe to flush a couple. When I costed up replacement of a full set, it wasn’t too bad (not completely eye watering) for a V8-32v, which actually uses many of the same bits as a twin cam golf!

Pete Reeve/quattrocorner might be able to give you more insight into what model it truly belongs to, if you don’t find any other identifying markings.
Is it safe to take them apart, or does that cause bits to fall out and not go back together properly ?
I once got a hydraulic lifter out of a B2 90 in a scrap yard and successfully fitted it in a late mk2 Golf which had a collapsed lifter after a broken cambelt. I was surprised I got away with it, but it worked.

I used to change them on the old Ford CVH engines and it always made them sound like a new engine afterwards, well it did after they'd all filled up with oil.