Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Type 44 200 windscreen replacement

Old 09-11-18, 09:25 PM   #11
Sandro
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
C3 and C4 are different. V8 (D1) and 200/100(C3) are the same design.

Link to the file is on its way by email. The file is large, and hiding in my dropbox. 120MB
As far as I know, V8 and 100/200 windscreens are different. Can't tell 100%
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 10:01 PM   #12
vagdream
Grown up member

7zap indicates that a part number of 443845099E is applicable to both V8 and Audi 200.
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 10:56 PM   #13
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschmallfella View Post
I heard or read something similar last year, I wonder is it worth giving them a call to see what the story is?
Maybe. See below if you decide to.....

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/automotive

Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 11:05 PM   #14
Sandro
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagdream View Post
7zap indicates that a part number of 443845099E is applicable to both V8 and Audi 200.
I truly hope You are right. Just in case ever I need to change it on my V8.
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 11:21 PM   #15
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Maybe. See below if you decide to.....

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/automotive

theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 11:54 AM   #16
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Hey all,

Right, so I need to get the windscreen replaced on the 200, apart from a small but growing crack on the bottom corner I have 2 rust spots that have appeared from previous bad workmanship when replacing a screen about 10 years ago (thank you Autoglass Ireland). So, what I want to do is remove the rubber and chrome intact, as I know they can't be got anymore. Does anyone here have any advice regarding the safe removal of said rubber and chrome?

Regarding replacing the glass, does anyone have any recommendations regarding where I can get a windscreen from to fit the type44 100/200? I know it's been mentioned here somewhere before but I can't find a thread for it.

Thank in advance guys.
See my thread from last year about replacing the windscreen on my B3 90:

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=37297

You don't say where the propagating crack is - internal or external? If it's internal and you still have the last invoice from Ireland and can convince Autoglass in UK that part of your trouble is as a result of that poor workmanship, they should replace the screen and fit a new OE trim for you. In my case they went halves with the repair cost and put a new screen and proper trim from Germany in.
Like Duffy I think it was, that new screen has developoed an internal crack and should ideally be changed but I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lie......
Good luck, Chris.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 01:46 AM   #17
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwallownAmazon View Post
See my thread from last year about replacing the windscreen on my B3 90:

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=37297

You don't say where the propagating crack is - internal or external? If it's internal and you still have the last invoice from Ireland and can convince Autoglass in UK that part of your trouble is as a result of that poor workmanship, they should replace the screen and fit a new OE trim for you. In my case they went halves with the repair cost and put a new screen and proper trim from Germany in.
Like Duffy I think it was, that new screen has developoed an internal crack and should ideally be changed but I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lie......
Good luck, Chris.
Cheers for that Chris, I can't tell if it's internal or external, but I will say this, the time I got the screen replaced it was actually it's second replacement in the space of 2 weeks. The first screen developed a crack in almost the same spot within a day of fitting, I got them back to replace it free of charge and at the time I remember the chap telling me it was the last trim/rubber/screen they had in stock. I didn't like that guy, the first lad was all chat, had a cuppa and was happy for me to watch, the second fella told me from the off he didn't like being watched. I watched him from the house and thought he was a bit rough when doing the removal, the rust spots are the result of that.
After a bit of a dig I found both receipts from Autoglass, the second stating that it was a stress crack and paid for by Autoglass themselves to replace. It's 8 years though, so I'd say that ship has well and truly sailed!
Old 11-11-18, 05:51 PM   #18
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
After a bit of a dig I found both receipts from Autoglass, the second stating that it was a stress crack and paid for by Autoglass themselves to replace. It's 8 years though, so I'd say that ship has well and truly sailed!
Never give up - the repair that caused the trouble on my Audi dated back to 2005.

Good thing the Lifetime Warranty! And even better thing the Memsahib kept all the paperwork.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 02:20 AM   #19
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwallownAmazon View Post
Never give up - the repair that caused the trouble on my Audi dated back to 2005.
Really?! Well in that case I might chance my arm and see what they say about it.