Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » The future of Classic Audi, the forum

View Poll Results: Is there a future for Classic Audi as a forum?
Yes. Whether Facebook exists or not. 52 76.47%
Yes. Facebook is great for the chatter, but the serious stuff is on the forum. 25 36.76%
No. Facebook more than does what’s needed. 0 0%
Ambivalent, but I occasionally come here for more detail. 0 0%
Don’t really care. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-11-20, 03:44 PM   #51
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Before I do that, I’d like to get an idea of the costs involved, and we’d really need Al’s input to get a better gauge of what’s intended or possible.

I’d be ok with an annual fee.
I host a cancer support group website, the annual cost is £150 to £200, that wouldn't take too long to re-coup with a modest membership fee.

We do need input from Coxy
Old 15-11-20, 02:12 PM   #52
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

One thing I dislike about forums is the concept of user names. On Facebook we are who we are, on a forum it can be confusing who is who.
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-20, 06:26 PM   #53
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davallew View Post
One thing I dislike about forums is the concept of user names. On Facebook we are who we are, on a forum it can be confusing who is who.
It’s a curious point.
On a forum, a person has a choice about how they might be known to the membership-

Full name
First name
Last name
Pseudonym
Etc.
A choice. The forum administration can ensure a level of integrity of the individual at sign up, and their involvement and conduct (certainly in a forum like Classic Audi) generally determine their continued involvement, or not.

On Facebook, it appears that it should be more in line with people’s actual identities, but in fact is rather much more open to abuse, misdirection, and inaccuracy. The rules structure ensures that basic information is required, but the administration actually does not ensure any more integrity, and often much less, from what I can see.
Old 15-11-20, 06:49 PM   #54
droopsnoot
Grown up member

There's another thing I just remembered that make forums better than Facebook - the ability to quote all or part of someone else's post, so that readers have an idea what I'm commenting on.

FB just has the "reply" button that sometimes starts the post with the other person's name and sometimes doesn't, but if that person has made several posts it's impossible to tell which one I'm replying to / arguing with.
droopsnoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-20, 07:29 PM   #55
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

How does the poll work it’s percentages out..? Currently 79% want to keep the forum despite facebook while nearly 36% want the two to co-exist. isn’t that 115%? Given you only get one vote.....?

Or are some votes worth more than others
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-20, 10:40 PM   #56
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellis46 View Post
How does the poll work it’s percentages out..? Currently 79% want to keep the forum despite facebook while nearly 36% want the two to co-exist. isn’t that 115%? Given you only get one vote.....?
It’s a multiple choice poll.

Quote:
Or are some votes worth more than others
Absolutely. Any down vote of Facebook is worth 10000 in favour of.

ps....joking/wishful thinking

Last edited by Hanuman; 15-11-20 at 10:43 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-20, 11:18 AM   #57
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Been reading the comments about fb, how many of you can't find stuff. I'm not sure how long this lasts but my answer to this is i save posts but can't remember when i cottoned onto the option. At the moment i'm looking at going back to January this year. Maybe the saved posts only last a year?? Anyone know?

There was a very interesting series pf posts, amongst others, by a member on here rebuilding his 2.6 coupe engine. I mentioned to him on fb why not offer this info on the main forum? He just didn't want to, shame as it should be on here imo.

So whilst many here think the forum is the be all and end all for whatever private reasons they have, lack of fb knowledge, probably a bit like those who believe the coming vaccine is a way to control people, it's not that bad. Ive seen many really excellent posts on groups about the very things many of us are interested in. So whilst the forum is an excellent place to be for very good info there is good info that i've personally seen on fb.

On balance the forum is better for the serious stuff and archives, but this info is not getting topped up here much, just my honest opinion, it's a shame more people from fb don't post here about these things. Lets hope a few more do want to archive their cars in threads like many of us do.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-20, 09:08 PM   #58
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

It will stay Ive every confidence of that, it just has to. We met on the forum in 2010, so if that's not a recomendation to join up I don't know what is ��
The forum has been plugged on the Facebook page today by Alistair and others so you should see activity pick up as new members sign up.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by David Small; 17-11-20 at 11:27 PM.
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-20, 09:22 PM   #59
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davallew View Post
It will stay Ive every confidence of that, it just has to. We met on the forum in 2010, so if that's not a recomendation to join up I don't what is 😁
The forum has been plugged on the Facebook page today by Alistair and others so you should see activity pick up as new members sign up.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I remember now !

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-20, 10:47 PM   #60
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Right, so it’s absolutely fine to plug the forum on faceplant now, increase traffic and for the absent moderators and missing administration to rock up as saviours, but spare a thought for the poor sod who’s plied the fractious members with excuses after they’d paid up for a membership with no benefit or managed conflict between disagreements. I’ve an inbox stuffed full of (quite rightfully, from the customers viewpoint) snotty messages because the forum was dysfunctional.

I’m happy to tender my resignation as a moderator should you wish, but there’s a lot to fix before normality is resumed.... And replying to the moderator forum first might help stabilise things.

Just a thought, as it were...

Last edited by Isimmo; 17-11-20 at 10:50 PM.
Isimmo is offline   Reply With Quote