Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Headlining removal

Old 01-09-20, 07:36 PM   #1
youngjim
Grown up member

Default Headlining removal

How big/difficult is it to remove the headliner from a B2 coupe , about to do this, any pointers??
youngjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 08:28 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Removing the seats is the first step. After that it's just a case of removing the trims, sunvisors, grab handles and fixing screws.

Be very careful removing the trims as they're all over 30 years old now.

Is it a sunroof car ? If it is you'll need to take that out
Old 25-10-21, 01:56 PM   #3
youngjim
Grown up member

Now the sunroof mechanism is seized, how can I get the sunroof out now, anyone have ideas.
Old 25-10-21, 04:15 PM   #4
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjim View Post
Now the sunroof mechanism is seized, how can I get the sunroof out now, anyone have ideas.
I've got the same problem with my Coupe GT. Sunroof is completely stuck closed on one side. I've been really busy with other jobs trying to get it roadworthy, but at some point will need to address it so will be watching this thread with interest! I'll probably need a new sunroof panel too as the rust is pretty bad on one side... Not looking forward to that search. I know there's a couple of eBay but the prices are crazy!!
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-21, 07:46 PM   #5
youngjim
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84CoupeGT View Post
I've got the same problem with my Coupe GT. Sunroof is completely stuck closed on one side. I've been really busy with other jobs trying to get it roadworthy, but at some point will need to address it so will be watching this thread with interest! I'll probably need a new sunroof panel too as the rust is pretty bad on one side... Not looking forward to that search. I know there's a couple of eBay but the prices are crazy!!
More good news,
Old 27-10-21, 08:13 PM   #6
audizzz
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default headlining

Hi did my sons 90 quattro not long ago.

Plastic clips will be brittle, "christmas trees" on inside of A, B, C pillars are relatively easy to pull off. The headling will probably be glued in spots to the metal roof as ours was, obviously very careful removal in order not to crack the cardboard form.

The material will be foam backed and is like half chewed sticky toffee, very fragile, drops off all over and next to impossible to remove. Just ask anybody with an avant.

Just a case of sourcing the correct fabric and glue.

Good stockists:-

William Marston, Segals, Woollies, Boyriven,
audizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-21, 07:57 PM   #7
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audizzz View Post
Hi did my sons 90 quattro not long ago.

Plastic clips will be brittle, "christmas trees" on inside of A, B, C pillars are relatively easy to pull off. The headling will probably be glued in spots to the metal roof as ours was, obviously very careful removal in order not to crack the cardboard form.

The material will be foam backed and is like half chewed sticky toffee, very fragile, drops off all over and next to impossible to remove. Just ask anybody with an avant.
From memory the B2 roof lining is clipped in and easier to remove than the B3 cars, and the material is (again from memory ur quattro lining) totally different from the foam backed cloth in later cars, in my ur it was plastic and velvet seat material stuck to the plastic.

Think I'd rather tackle a B2 roof lining anytime in preference to doing one in a B3 or B4
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-21, 10:17 PM   #8
maartenmoerman
Grown up member

Don't you need to take the windows out? As the headliner runs over the flange where the rubber/window sits in....
maartenmoerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 06:00 PM   #9
youngjim
Grown up member

Success , sunroof removed and headlining out , bit of lateral thinking to get roof out.
Post pics later if I can upload them.
Old 02-11-21, 01:15 PM   #10
84CoupeGT
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjim View Post
Success , sunroof removed and headlining out , bit of lateral thinking to get roof out.
Post pics later if I can upload them.
Would be great to see those and hear how you did it! Will be tackling this on mine at some point soon. Dreading what I might find!!
84CoupeGT is offline   Reply With Quote