Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » 2.8 ACK 30V head bolts removal tool?

Old 23-03-18, 07:28 PM   #21
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
He replied,............

I would have put "i know what i like and i like what i know"
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 07:38 PM   #22
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
The engine is puurrrrrffect, just removing the heads, taking of weight from the block so me and the Mrs can walk it out. The engine will come in handy and i'm going to enjoy playing with this Automotice piece of Art.

Then, hiring a plasma cutter to cut of the roof for it's sunroof for the S6 estate and to cut of parts of the as new estate shell as it would be sacrilege not to take advantage of parts of chassis that i know can start to go that i have witnessed when working on (Geneandbollies old S6 bus).

Once gone the A2 1.4 engine job will start as you know about. So there is a plan to all this madness.
Pity you are not closer you could have borrowed my plasma cutter, they are air hungry, hope your is big enough to feed it?
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 07:41 PM   #23
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
I would have put "i know what i like and i like what i know"
I said it as John laid some bait on my 7A for sale thread when Duffy replied he'd received the package and John replied i " In a Bilstine box" trying hard to goad Duffy.
I didn't bite nor did duffy but as ever some people like to give it but can't take it.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 07:45 PM   #24
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I said it as John laid some bait on my 7A for sale thread when Duffy replied he'd received the package and John replied i " In a Bilstine box" trying hard to goad Duffy.
I didn't bite nor did duffy but as ever some people like to give it but can't take it.

I know how it is mate
Old 23-03-18, 07:49 PM   #25
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids View Post
Pity you are not closer you could have borrowed my plasma cutter, they are air hungry, hope your is big enough to feed it?
Thanks for the kind offer David Just wish you were closer.

I'd forgotten you need air to do the job. Having said that i'm seriously in need of a good compressor. I've always had in my head that you need at least 15cfm to be able to spray stuff properly with a good receiver tank. Seriously David what can you recommend? I want to use it for shotblasting and painting suspension parts tyre pressures etc.
Old 23-03-18, 08:59 PM   #26
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Thanks for the kind offer David Just wish you were closer.

I'd forgotten you need air to do the job. Having said that i'm seriously in need of a good compressor. I've always had in my head that you need at least 15cfm to be able to spray stuff properly with a good receiver tank. Seriously David what can you recommend? I want to use it for shotblasting and painting suspension parts tyre pressures etc.
Unless you want to start messing with electrical then you are really limited to a max of 3hp motor, can run these off a 13A socket but really because they are DOL a 20A supply via a double pole isolator.
This will drive a 13cfm compressor or possible you might find a 15cfm, this is usually big enough for a 150 or 200ltr tank.

I have a 15 cfm at home with a 200 ltr whic is big enough for everything I use, inc air tools. At dads when we have the spray set up we have the same but an additional 500ltr tank for big paint jobs.

Use these for a long time and you will notice the bill going up a bit. If you want lots of cfm you can get twin motor twin compressors but for home these are overkill. If anyone tries to convince you to get a hydrovane tell them to push off. These kick out massive amounts of air, even the smallest, noisy and the problem with hydro,s is they don't turn off, all they do us unload, the thing keeps running.

As for shot or sand or grit or soda blasting nothing keeps up with this apart from big industrial jobs. We have a med cabinet which you can get a wheel in, takes ages and kills the air. Unless the bits are small we don't bother, chomps the air, takes ages and the finish is ok.

As for make nearly everything us made in China, shit quality, that's why the 3hp 15cfm stuff you see usually is between £300 to £600. Our paint one is IngersolRand, ( sorry about spelling ) we made sure the one for this was Europe made with cast iron compressor, I'm thinking this was £1500 or £1800.

My one at home was CompAir, again I made sure not China made, think this was £900, but we can get bits for them both, they take a hammering, especially the paint one and you can get spares.

We can look tomorrow and spend your money wisely

However it is a minefield
Old 23-03-18, 09:04 PM   #27
Davids
4 ring whore!

Always use 10mm or 3/8" hose and the full flow fittings.
Don't use the shitty regulators that come with the compressor, take off and bin, fit a full flow isolator valve and the treat yourself to a good air/water separator with a separate full flow pressure regulator, unfortunately a decent make is going to set you back between £100 to £500 depending on make and choice.

Add approx £75 or so if you want a filter to supply air for air fed mask ( 2k essential )
Old 23-03-18, 09:23 PM   #28
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

We could have told him to get a helium bottle for the mask.

Old 23-03-18, 09:57 PM   #29
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for all the info David.

Jeeze it's been so long since i last seriously looked at this. Life as they say gets in the way. Believe it or not when i rewired the house years ago i had added a separate power supply to the garage. I got a sparky to wire in with separate tales a separate consumer board to link up with the Industrial wall mount plug i fitted in. Can't remember the amps but the same thick cable that's fitted for high current electric cookers. Fully take on board that hydrovane is no good for me. Be good to discuss this tomorrow.

Hey Bruce, wonder what Billy Connelly sounds like on helium.

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 23-03-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 23-03-18, 10:22 PM   #30
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Hey Bruce, wonder what Billy Connelly sounds like on helium.

I would think it would be extremely funny Mark

Watch yourself with the plasma cutter, listen to David, i have seen some strange accidents with them through a concentration lapse.