Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » 2.8 AAH Tappetts

Old 20-09-13, 06:40 PM   #1
F6RTY
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default 2.8 AAH Tappetts

Well, I've bought this 100E and had the cambelt done plus oil and filters.

The engine was fine up to this point other than a bit of rattle upon starting cold. Oil was replaced with 10-40 as per what was already in it with a Mahle filter. Engine became quite 'tappetty' and generally wouldn't shut up. Put some Wynns treatment in..... no improvement.

Today, did a Flush, replaced filter with a VAG one and oil with 15-40 working on the basis that the thicker stuff may pad it out a bit. Result...... sounds like a London taxi.

Any thoughts, bearing in mind it was quiet and now it aint!

Alan
F6RTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-13, 06:50 PM   #2
msh
4 ring whore!

Well, since you put that 15w40 crap in, we have no reason to think that oil is too thin, so the most likely reason is too low oil pressure and maybe worn out tappets. Do you have oil pressure gauge in instrument cluster? If yes, how much does it reads when engine is hot?
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-13, 07:03 PM   #3
F6RTY
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Oil pressure is 4bar cold and 2bar hot just as before. Thinking about it, it's probably a bit lower with the new oil than the old stuff but only by a fraction.

Alan
Old 20-09-13, 07:26 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Does it sound like all tappets, or is it just very noisy for 1 or 2?
Old 20-09-13, 08:11 PM   #5
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Looks like there's some kind of pressure control valve next to the second cam lobe if that makes any sense? People/google says it gunks up, it limits oil pressure to the lifters at 2.7 odd bar when it's not gunked up. Worth a look maybe. There are anti drain back valves too but these are just to keep the tappets full on start up.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-13, 08:37 PM   #6
F6RTY
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
Does it sound like all tappets, or is it just very noisy for 1 or 2?
Sounds as though there are several, maybe all, that are noisy. If there was just one then I would put that down to a specific fault as opposed to a lubrication issue.

I may dump the oil for 10-40.

Alan
Old 20-09-13, 08:39 PM   #7
F6RTY
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Looks like there's some kind of pressure control valve next to the second cam lobe if that makes any sense? People/google says it gunks up, it limits oil pressure to the lifters at 2.7 odd bar when it's not gunked up. Worth a look maybe. There are anti drain back valves too but these are just to keep the tappets full on start up.
May have the garage do this if a change back to a lighter oil doesn't help. The flush that they put in made the engine quite quiet so the 15-40 may be the culprit.

Alan
Old 02-10-13, 10:18 AM   #8
F6RTY
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Changed the oil to 5w40 fully synthetic. Made a very slight improvement. Yesterday, changed the pressure relief valves in the cylinder head. Upon start up, engine went quiet very quickly but the tappett noise came back after a few minutes. Took it for a drive and when I stopped there was no noise, but left it at idle for a bit and it came back.

This morning I started it and after a few seconds of 'tick' it went quiet. Left it at idle for maybe 5 minutes or more and as the pressure dropped/ temperature went up so the ticking started. Drove it around the block and again when stopped it was quiet for a bit.

All very strange!

Alan
Old 25-11-13, 02:24 PM   #9
F6RTY
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The saga continues!

Took advice from Audi and replaced the tappetts. Sourced some decent after-market ones for £130 and had my garage fit them as I didn't have the required tools (or the precise knowledge) to do the job myself. Result: No change whatsoever!

So, after reading many online reports of replacing the oil check valves in the top of the block to solve such a problem I decided on this avenue. It took several weeks to get the valves due to issues with the Audi ordering system (part number 078 103 175D to those interested) and last week I set about doing the job myself to save some money. I sourced an 'idiot sheet' off 12v.org to do the job and it seemed straightforwrd enough.

The check valves I took out look different to the new ones and also seemed to be working just fine, but put the new ones in anyway. Stuck it all back together and ........ no difference!

Does anyone have any ideas whatsoever as to what could be causing this! I'm at my wits-end with this and am just as liable to weigh this POS in unless I get it sorted soon!

Photos of the valves and the (f'kin useless) engine apart:

Alan

Old 25-11-13, 03:32 PM   #10
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Not sure if it's relevant on this engine, but I have read a thread about loose oil suction pipe in the sump creating rattly tappets.