Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Still floating around...

Old 28-02-18, 09:19 PM   #1
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Still floating around...

Evening peeps.

It's been three years now since I said goodbye to my UR Quattro and wealth of spares I had and yep, still getting parts requests from the newer users on here! Guess the parts situation hasn't improved during my absence!

So a few things:

There doesn't seem to be as much traffic on this site as there used to be. A reflection of the number of classic Audi's left perhaps?

I saw a rather dubious advert on ebay for a UR quattro at a "feels so much like a scam but it's too cheap not to at least entertain my curiosity with an email" kind of price. So it's apparently a guy in Inverness selling the car on behalf of his deceased brother, a Mr Cooper. Anyone happen to know a Mr cooper of inverness with a URQ for sale!

On another note I'm 18 months into my M140i ownership and am still very much enjoying it and at this rate can't see me going back to modern Audi's, latest RS6 excepting. Classic audis however.....

...so I've got just under 2 years before I hit an age that begins with a 4 and I'm already on the prowl for a special vehicle to celebrate/commiserate. I Took the latest shape Range Rover out and was a little disappointed to be honest and that was the car I was aiming for (whilst keeping the M140i too) so I'm now thinking of starting with an older 80's car and modernising parts of it

What i have in my head is to get an old coupe and replace the engine with the RS3/TT-RS engine and update where possible all the running gear. Now I know this offends a lot of purists out there so I wouldn't be looking at converting a full blown UR, rather a middling CQ with the UR fibreglass wings. I loved and hated owning a UR in equal measure. THe help on here was nothing short of epic and the car was just amazing to look at, drive and hear but the spares situation became obscene where at one point I sold a sunroof seal for £140, modernising a lot of the oily parts would alleviate a lot of this whilst keeping a 5 cylinder as its heart.

So, the search begins. If anyone knows of a suitable donor then I'm all ears. Constructive thoughts also welcome as this is all very early doors in the idea!
Old 28-02-18, 10:02 PM   #2
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Dave, glad you're still wrestling the classic quattro demons... Well, when I say 'glad' I mean glad your therapy sessions match my programme. The problem you'll have is the price of a half decent CQ to start your skulduggery. What was once a £1500 purchase is a £5k one now, and by tomorrow afternoon will be £5.5k....

It'd almost be cheaper to buy a good GT and a wrecked TTRS and weld the GT onto the TTRS floorpan...
Old 28-02-18, 10:25 PM   #3
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Hi Dave, glad you're still wrestling the classic quattro demons... Well, when I say 'glad' I mean glad your therapy sessions match my programme. The problem you'll have is the price of a half decent CQ to start your skulduggery. What was once a £1500 purchase is a £5k one now, and by tomorrow afternoon will be £5.5k....

It'd almost be cheaper to buy a good GT and a wrecked TTRS and weld the GT onto the TTRS floorpan...
Hey fella, yeah it'll never leave me and had I known my salary would double in the three years since selling mine I just wouldn't have sold it!

TBH I'd consider something like that, I wonder how far out the wheelbase and width is... off to do some research!

You're right on the CQ's there's only one I could see on ebay and that's £5k although that does include the 80 roof and 2 door doors.
Old 28-02-18, 10:40 PM   #4
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I think you're on to something there Davey, I like the idea of keeping the exterior original but modern mechanics and electrics under the skin, I think it's one way of keeping a classic relevant. Like you with your ur, I have great difficulty with getting parts for my 200. I'm not adverse to putting non audi parts in my car to keep it going, I don't have a problem with it. If you do take on the project you're thinking of doing I'd love to see the progress. Good luck with the search, and hey, don't worry about hitting the 'big four oh', it's not that big a deal. Been there, done that, it's not all that bad if I'm honest. I've got some plans for the 200 along the same lines so I'll probably put some pics up when I do.
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-18, 10:43 PM   #5
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Mk3 is only 19mm out (shorter) on wheelbase but best part of 100mm wider - though that won't all be wheel to wheel difference.
Old 28-02-18, 10:46 PM   #6
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Sounds like a great project.

Yeah not as much activity here as we'd like I'm sure
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-18, 10:47 PM   #7
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschmallfella View Post
I think you're on to something there Davey, I like the idea of keeping the exterior original but modern mechanics and electrics under the skin, I think it's one way of keeping a classic relevant. Like you with your ur, I have great difficulty with getting parts for my 200. I'm not adverse to putting non audi parts in my car to keep it going, I don't have a problem with it. If you do take on the project you're thinking of doing I'd love to see the progress. Good luck with the search, and hey, don't worry about hitting the 'big four oh', it's not that big a deal. Been there, done that, it's not all that bad if I'm honest. I've got some plans for the 200 along the same lines so I'll probably put some pics up when I do.
Cheers pal.

Sadly if I do end up doing this it'll be a case of chucking the old and new audis to a workshop and telling them to squish them together as at Christmas I converted half my garage into a gym (put in patio doors, insulated, plasterboarded, rubber floored and re-wired - I'm not good at having time off and doing nothing!) but I will insist on photo's photo's photo's!
Old 28-02-18, 11:44 PM   #8
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Oh god I'm the same, I can't sit still for 5 minutes! I'm almost finished converting the shed into a studio (man cave really) and the garage is next, it's getting a make over as soon as this cold weather fecks off.
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:03 AM   #9
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

If you're serious then I could possibly be persuaded to sell my b2 cq to you.. you'd be doing what I dreamed of but alas will never be able to do. It would be nice to see it done.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:34 AM   #10
jogi730
jogi
Classic Audi Club Member

A modern running gear conversion. Now this will be a great watch!