Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » accelerator / gas pedal fix

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-11-17, 07:06 AM   #1
fritzvis
Grown up member

Default accelerator / gas pedal fix

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and just introduced myself in the proper section of this forum. I'm a new 1999 Audi 80 Cabriolet 1.9tdi owner. I bought the car with a broken gas pedal.
I was very lucky the broken of pedal was still with the car when I bought her.
That seems to be a very common problem for these Audi models. Since a completely new system is quite expensive I fixed the pedal myself. It worked out really well. I managed to keep the original pedal and spring movement from the pedal. here's how I've done it:

- drill a 3mm hole through the pedal base. there is a spring inside try to imagine where spring is and drill through the center of that spring.
- use a piece of thread rod of about 2.5" long with diameter of 3mm
- drill 3mm holes in both sides of the original pedal, measure correctly. You can see a line where the pedal broke off. holes should be on that line because pivot point for spring movement was at that point on the original pedal.
- push pedal onto it's original base and from the sides push thread rod through pedal and pedal base.
- put a washer and cap nut on left side of thread rod
- now shorten the thread rod on the right side to desired length (with Dremel tool)
try to shorten the thread rod to the length that when washer and cap nut is installed all the way on the thread rod, you have about 1mm of play... use thread lock glue on capnuts!
- paint the cap nuts black with a touchup pen and now you can hardly see they're there. pedal moves and feels like before. fix just cost me £2.5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto2.jpg (99.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg foto1.jpg (114.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg foto5.jpg (95.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg foto4.jpg (90.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg foto6.jpg (53.7 KB, 33 views)
fritzvis is offline   Reply With Quote