Classic Audi » Technical » Technical Info » Log book not present query

Old 28-07-13, 02:09 PM   #1
nokia7799
Grown up member

Default Log book not present query

Hi,

I was wondering if an individual was to buy a classic car from someone and the V5 wasn't present can the new owner get the V5 in his name or how does it work? Im currently looking at a classic Audi but the V5 was lost, destroyed etc. THe complicating thing is that the person who has the car currently isn't the recorded owner on the logbook but he assures me that everything is in order. I suppose hes a middle man wanting to turn a quick buck, but my concern is being able to get the book..

Id appreciate any help.
Thanks
nokia7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-13, 02:30 PM   #2
Andy b1 (WR)
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Walk away!

Must be other cars out there that you could have with all the paperwork.
Andy b1 (WR) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-13, 02:34 PM   #3
quattro777
Super Sleuth!
Classic Audi Club Member

Living in Ireland may complicate things also as you would probably need a UK address to do it.

Why not get the seller to apply for it?
quattro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-13, 02:58 PM   #4
shaun5
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'd also say walk away, things sound a bit dodgy.
If you do go ahead make sure you see lots of paperwork showing who the people are, including addresses. Even better if you can go to there address.
shaun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-13, 03:21 PM   #5
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

It's costs around £25 to get a replacement log book.

Proof of log book is not proof of ownership so not technically an issue, just more paperwork and time to sort it out.

If it's in the UK, you don't need a massive amount of info to get a replacement log book. Chassis number and engine number is pretty much it. If you have a previous reg or some evidence of a reg that was assigned to it previously, this does help.
I've bought a few cars without log books, not overly an issue, but an excellent bargaining tool in getting the price right down.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-13, 03:27 PM   #6
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

it would be interesting to know a few more details.

The current 'keeper' is obviously not actually in possession of the car. it begs the question- why?
if the person who has the car has bought it, or has possession of it, has it legitimately, then there should be a record.

There have been a few unfortunate thefts of classic audis over the last few years. It may be that there is a connection?

2 years ago, I looked at buying a left hand drive Audi. The 'owner' had a UK mobile number, and a UK email address with an 'english' name. The reality was something very different. The story was something like- He was from one of the baltic states; the car had previously been owned by a friend of his. The friend had owed him money for work done on the car; The owner had then returned east, supposedly handing the car over to clear his 'debt'. there was no documentation.
It was all a little suspicious.
Old 28-07-13, 03:49 PM   #7
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Walk away
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-13, 08:31 AM   #8
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
2 years ago, I looked at buying a left hand drive Audi. The 'owner' had a UK mobile number, and a UK email address with an 'english' name. The reality was something very different. The story was something like- He was from one of the baltic states; the car had previously been owned by a friend of his. The friend had owed him money for work done on the car; The owner had then returned east, supposedly handing the car over to clear his 'debt'. there was no documentation.
It was all a little suspicious.
Presuming you're talking about car registered in lithuania or latvia, not UK, of course, there never is any "documentation" except technical passport and pair of licence plates.

For example, the proof that I'm the owner of my A90 is this little piece of laminated paper + respective entries in CSDD database. Of course, to register car, registered here, on your name in UK, presuming DVLA, or what was the name of organisation, which does it in UK, won't ignore everything and will require transit plates and proof of purchase, would be more difficult - you would have to go to the respective country, find the owner written in technical passport, go and register the change of ownership and change licence plates. The car probably wouldn't have to be present, at least it is not required when simple change of ownership is registered.

But as for suspicious sale - over here it is quite common to sell old cars without registering change of ownership, as, unlike in UK, where everything has to be followed by loads of paper, here you can still insure and inspect a car not owned by you, provided the owner pays all his traffic violations and has not been sued and all property confiscated. Actually, it's not uncommon that when someone buys crappy B2 quattro for restoration, in order to register it on his name, he has to go trough long owner finding process, and often the owner even is unaware that the car still exists I remember one case that the owner had given away his damaged B2 quattro to some repair shop either for spares or scrap 10 years ago, and was surprised to find out the existance and continued use of the very same car
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-13, 10:59 PM   #9
nokia7799
Grown up member

THanks very much to everyone for all the replies. Its a classic audi that's for sale in the Uk. It does sound a bit dogde, I understand that. There is also a complication in that the keys weren't available either! I know, it gets better! THe man selling the car sells an odd car, hes in the trade, reckons that the car was in a shed for years and the woman of the house had a falling out with the husband and tore up the log book and threw the keys away! I know, it sounds really dodge. THe car may be sold by now anyways, but I have an interest in the car. Getting a logbook for an English reg car bought by a south of Ireland man is the problem, apart from the possibility of it being stolen! which is a possibility. Someone on here may even know the car for sale. Its an early AUdi 80.

THanks for all your replies. I do appreciate it...
Old 31-07-13, 11:02 PM   #10
nokia7799
Grown up member

THe seller didn't apply for the logbook as he sells an odd car and id say is interested in turning a quick few pounds profit and doesn't want the hassle of getting the book, but as anyone would know it would make the car a lot more appealing...