Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » A passion or a business

Old 16-02-15, 05:18 PM   #1
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Unhappy A passion or a business

I'm clearing out my parents garage and have a load of B2 coupe bits that came with a 1986 coupe quattro car we bought about 10 years ago intending to get back on the road but never actually managed it, car was sold last July to Tom C for £750 which I thought was reasonable as we originally gave £500 for it and then trailered it home.

So last week I put some of the B2 parts on ebay as I'm not a paid up member on there yet (thanks Minty for advising how to become paid up).

One of them was a front bumper, I gets an email from quattrorob on ebay (is he on here ?) asking if I would sell the 3 x bumper grille inserts seperately for which he offered £25 in total, now that I thought was a fair price as they were in very good condition and its nearly what I wanted for the entire bumper so I sold them to him as he said he wanted them for his own car.

Today I goes on ebay and looks at what hes got up for sale and guess what 3 seperate listings for the 3 bits of front bumper trim on ebay.de with bids of approx £22.70 x 2 for the edge bits and £37.50 for the centre bit so did he want them for himself or is it just a business. ?

I have 2 x B2/ur 85 on sloping headlamps pretty much like new (on a car for about a year) so how much do I sell them for, being fair I think £300 is reasonable for the pair as refurbished reflectors go for between £35 and £50 each (again quattrorob) so £150 for a complete unit as opposed to £100 for 2 x reflectors I think is reasonable. But on ebay how much could I ask/get ?

I have 2 really good B2 wings at £30 on ebay at the moment and I think this is a reasonable price but what if I sell them to someone who them puts them back on ebay and hikes up the selling price on another countries site ?

I really want all my bits to go to someone who needs them to keep a car on the road and is not just storing up parts for sale later when they will be worth more.

My daily driver since I finished work due to redundancy in 2013 is a 1993 Audi 80 2.6e quattro estate (never called it an avant in UK) and I'm quite passionate about my old Ur and B3 20v quattro and S2 they are all needing some work but at what stage do you just call it a day and try to make old audis a business as obviously if I wanted to list parts from them on ebay I'm sure they sell for much more than the value of the whole car. (maybe not the Ur).

I do see parts changing hands on here at very reasonable prices JMLaudi for example is just trying to help out other passionate classic audi owners as his parts are always cheap.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 05:33 PM   #2
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I have hit quick reply....if you want the best prices for your parts ( car bits I mean!! ) then advertise world wide and be prepared for hassle when things go missing or be selective about where you will sell to. Otherwise, just sell and ask ridiculous prices as most sellers on ebay do for old Audi parts ( there are a couple of exceptions BTW )
Rather deceitful of quattrobob to get you to sell to him and then sell elsewhere I have to admit. I'd not be happy about that!
Finally, just sell to CA members...if no one jumps at buying your car parts, then stick on eBay for what you can get for them.....

Wish you had a shed full of Audi 80 bits ( Not coupe but saloon! )
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 05:41 PM   #3
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrodave View Post
I'm clearing out my parents garage and have a load of B2 coupe bits that came with a 1986 coupe quattro car we bought about 10 years ago intending to get back on the road but never actually managed it, car was sold last July to Tom C for £750 which I thought was reasonable as we originally gave £500 for it and then trailered it home.

So last week I put some of the B2 parts on ebay as I'm not a paid up member on there yet (thanks Minty for advising how to become paid up).

One of them was a front bumper, I gets an email from quattrorob on ebay (is he on here ?) asking if I would sell the 3 x bumper grille inserts seperately for which he offered £25 in total, now that I thought was a fair price as they were in very good condition and its nearly what I wanted for the entire bumper so I sold them to him as he said he wanted them for his own car.

Today I goes on ebay and looks at what hes got up for sale and guess what 3 seperate listings for the 3 bits of front bumper trim on ebay.de with bids of approx £22.70 x 2 for the edge bits and £37.50 for the centre bit so did he want them for himself or is it just a business. ?

I have 2 x B2/ur 85 on sloping headlamps pretty much like new (on a car for about a year) so how much do I sell them for, being fair I think £300 is reasonable for the pair as refurbished reflectors go for between £35 and £50 each (again quattrorob) so £150 for a complete unit as opposed to £100 for 2 x reflectors I think is reasonable. But on ebay how much could I ask/get ?

I have 2 really good B2 wings at £30 on ebay at the moment and I think this is a reasonable price but what if I sell them to someone who them puts them back on ebay and hikes up the selling price on another countries site ?

I really want all my bits to go to someone who needs them to keep a car on the road and is not just storing up parts for sale later when they will be worth more.

My daily driver since I finished work due to redundancy in 2013 is a 1993 Audi 80 2.6e quattro estate (never called it an avant in UK) and I'm quite passionate about my old Ur and B3 20v quattro and S2 they are all needing some work but at what stage do you just call it a day and try to make old audis a business as obviously if I wanted to list parts from them on ebay I'm sure they sell for much more than the value of the whole car. (maybe not the Ur).

I do see parts changing hands on here at very reasonable prices JMLaudi for example is just trying to help out other passionate classic audi owners as his parts are always cheap.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?
I am not happy with Quattrob at all.PM coming your way.He is Polish and bleading all us good natured english folk dry so he can make a profit.He is running a business and that's all he thinks about.Ruthless! Friendship as a fellow Audi enthusiast doesn't come into it which is a real shame.I understand people have to put food on the table but Audi friends who are proper friends should recognise genuine friendship and look after and respect each other My advice is,it's no bodies business to tell you your parts are worth less than they normally sell for. So look at the average price of these things and price accordingly on a buy it now. If your selling really high quality excellent condition used audi parts then don't feel bad listing at average price that other people price there very average items at because your item is far better and an enthusiast will appreciate your superb item at what is the same price others sell there rubbish for.

Sorry to hear of your problem with quattrob but i am not surprised at all.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 06:15 PM   #4
Tom C
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

What coupe quattro was this I bought? sorry a tad confused, I bought and sold a coupe auto for a loss last year, don't remember owning a cq though. May be my old age
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 06:17 PM   #5
MSL
Grown up member

Last edited by MSL; 18-02-15 at 05:47 PM.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 06:19 PM   #6
MSL
Grown up member

Last edited by MSL; 18-02-15 at 05:47 PM.
Old 16-02-15, 06:20 PM   #7
MSL
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
He is Polish and bleading all us good natured english folk dry so he can make a profit.
Is that relevant?
Old 16-02-15, 06:26 PM   #8
Targus
Grown up member

I've dealt with him before and he pulled the exact same stunt, pm coming your way.
Targus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 06:29 PM   #9
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
What coupe quattro was this I bought? sorry a tad confused, I bought and sold a coupe auto for a loss last year, don't remember owning a cq though. May be my old age
Yes, you're losing it mate. Look on the bright side though, you've got another twenty years or so before things get really bad, like forgetting what day of the week it is, or what year it is for that matter!
lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-15, 06:34 PM   #10
quattrostyle
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

About the headlights, 300 gbp is pushing it a bit I'm afraid when selling on a forum. I bet you will fetch that on ebay though sooner or later. If they are in new condition I would also not sell them for less than 250 gbp.

LHD parts are more expensive usually and I've seen a very nice and bright set of headlights sell for €350,- on the S2forum but not within a few days.
quattrostyle is offline   Reply With Quote