Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » In-Car entertainment » Electric antenna

Old 19-05-08, 08:02 AM   #1
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Red face Electric antenna

Hi all,

I got a used electric aerial from a scrappy and have been meaning to install it in my 1983 80 GL for ages but, I'm crap with electrics.

Don't know what brand of aerial it is, but it works. I know this as I've manged to get it to operate. Trouble is, no matter how I connected it, it never seemed to do the same thing twice and I fried my radio in the process........!

I guess I am not earthing it correctly. It has 3 wires: Brown, Yellow and White. Any ideas what they do? Do you think the unit is earthed via being bolted to the body work?

I've spent too much fruitless time on this already. I have installed a new radio, with an ISO adapter, and don't wish to fry this too, so any advice would be appreciated.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-08, 02:54 PM   #2
Booty
Classic Audi Club Member

First thing is to check that your stereo has an electric aerial facilty. If it does then the 'live' will come from the back of the stereo and when you switch the unit on the aerial will operate. There should also be an earth which you could put straight to the earthing point on near to the rear lights. The only other wire needed in my opinion would be the thick black aerial one. I had an electric aerial on my Cq many moons ago and it had two wires, Red ( switchable live from stero) black ( thin earth wire ) and of course the thick black aerial one.
By the way if you do not have an electric aerial facility you will have to run a switchable live to a switch ( that you will have to position yourself ) to enable the aerial to be extended. Hope I haven't confused you too much!!
2017 Mercedes GLA 220
Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-08, 06:53 AM   #3
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Unhappy

Thanks for the advice.

My new stereo does have a dedicated wire for an aerial, a nice bright orange wire.

In my previous efforts I assumed the brown wire was Earth, but I'm not sure.

If I take it in turns connecting each wire to Live and Earth, what do you think are the chances of me accidentally frying something?
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-08, 08:45 AM   #4
AlanB
Grown up member

Hi R-M,

Most 'leccy arials I have fitted have used a relay to supply the power to the actual motor for the mast, so that the wire out of the stereo is only supplying "signal" to switch the power on, not the actual power. I would expect that using the "antenna" wire as a power feed would fry the unit.

Bearing in mind the relative costs of stereo units and arials, I would either find someone who is good with electrics, or just buy one with instructions!

Either option will be considerably cheaper than another fried stereo...........

AlanB
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-08, 10:52 AM   #5
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

As stated by AlanB, most radios only put out a 12volt holding signal for a relay which powers the masts motor.
If you connected the motor to the 12volt signal coming out the radio itll likely create some smoke.
Also, dont go "touching" wires to ground in an attempt to make it work, itll very likely kill it stone dead.
You need a wiring diagram and an auto electrician, or post the diagrams up here and we can all have a look.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote