Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Hidden Budget Threat

Old 12-03-20, 08:55 AM   #1
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Hidden Budget Threat

Folks,

A little detail hidden away in yesterday's budget is an idea to revamp the VED rates to charge drivers with what will be considered more polluting cars with new, higher rates going up to £4500/year! All in order to encourage people to buy newer electric/hydrogen cars and save humanity in the process...

They are apparently looking to target vehicles registered before 2017. The AA has already criticized the proposals for penalizing people who have already bought cars in good faith based on the VED rates.

It continues to annoy me that these sort of draconian measures can actually get serious consideration in government circles.

I saw no detail for those of us who pay the old flat VED rate for vehicles registered before 2001 nor was there anything regarding classics. Hopefully the 40 year rolling exemption will continue but I put nothing past the powers that be. Write your MP!

Last edited by Ringmaster; 12-03-20 at 08:52 PM.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 02:54 PM   #2
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

This comes as no surprise tbh.

Both the previous Private /Light goods and current taxation regime based on CO2 emissions plus a levy on fuel become pretty meaningless pretty quickly once people begin to switch en-mass to zero emission vehicles.

They need their pound of flesh still from the motorist while pushing people towards allegedly greener vehicles.

Presumably they too will not continue to be subject to Nil VED indefinitely. But short term the extent to which they will change the rules for owners of older and classic cars is definitely a cause for concern.
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 04:08 PM   #3
steveb
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Folks,

A little detail hidden away in yesterday's budget is an idea to revamp the VED rates to charge drivers with what will be considered more polluting cars with new, higher rates going up to £4500/year! All in order to encourage people to buy newer electric/hydrogen cars and save humanity in the process...

They are apparently looking to target vehicles registered before 2007. The AA has already criticized the proposals for penalizing people who have already bought cars in good faith based on the VED rates.

It continues to annoy me that these sort of draconian measures can actually get serious consideration in government circles. It may not come to fruition but if you are driving a car of that age isn't more likely you won't be able to afford those sort of VED rates, let alone be able to purchase a new, planet saving vehicle?

I saw no detail for those of us who pay the old flat VED rate for vehicles registered before 2001 nor was there anything regarding classics. Hopefully the 40 year rolling exemption will continue but I put nothing past the powers that be. Write your MP!

Have you got a link to the article ?
'84 WR
'89 coupe quattro
'01 A2 1.4 TDI SE
'14 A3 1.4 TFSI COD
[/color][/size][/font]
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 08:50 PM   #4
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Here is a link...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...pay-2-000.html

I saw the article first in today's Daily Mail, page 17. That mentioned a figure of up to £4500 a year whereas this article mentions £2000.
I made a type O in my first post. It should have read 2017 rather than 2007.

So, it would appear that classics may be safe for now, but those of us who hope to one day afford a higher spec car, thanks to depreciation, may have to rethink our ambitions. High end vehicles will be the domain of the wealthy and scrapyards will overflow with luxurious tin.....

Last edited by Ringmaster; 12-03-20 at 09:01 PM.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 11:02 PM   #5
steveb
Classic Audi Club Member

ah that makes more sense, i couldn't find anything about 2007 :-)
'84 WR
'89 coupe quattro
'01 A2 1.4 TDI SE
'14 A3 1.4 TFSI COD
[/color][/size][/font]
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote