Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Steering wheels - and what would fit a B4 coupe?

Old 27-03-09, 12:56 PM   #1
Johnny_E
Grown up member

Default Steering wheels - and what would fit a B4 coupe?

My leather bound wheel is a bit tired! The upper right seems to have been used most and the leather is a bit out of shape as such - not ripped - just swivelled out of its original position and shiney.

So.. new wheel me thinks. BUT. Mines an airbag wheel.

Can I go for a non airbag wheel and easily get the airbag deactivated (ie. no dash light to fail me at MOT time?!) or am I better to stick with a direct airbag fitted replacement.

I've done a search and found the thread that pointed at these: **Ebay link** which look lovely - but are airbag-less.

Given that I've a lingering airbag light (discussed a few days ago on here) that stays on for 1 min after starting up, maybe I could just get rid? I've a hard head - I'm not scared

[ edit: looks like you can retro fit a non airbag version of these nice wheels: http://homepage.internet.lu/customau...OLUMN%20COVERS ]
Johnny_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-09, 07:41 PM   #2
peanut
Grown up member

im looking to do exactly the same, if they did one of those kits for the coupe id definitely have one.
gav
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-09, 08:42 PM   #3
SteveCat
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default .

First thing I did to mine was this job

First up,I disconnected the battery and removed the steering column shroud.I then unscrewed the bolts at back of the wheel.Think there are four.

Next you remove the horn cover,the piece with the 4 rings on

I then undid any screw or nut which appeared relevant to the bag module,firstly disconnecting all wires to it.As an extra precaution,I did this by standing with the door open and outside of the car.My head was also more behind the wheel and to the front of the car "just in case"

I put this bag unit on the ground FACE UP and WELL AWAY.This was disposed of at the local waste disposal site in the appropriate place.

The wheel could then come awff!
The 3 spoke item (procured from Audibits2 off ebay) could then slide on!It will sit closer to you as youre still putting it onto an airbag column AFAIK

Then,there was a plastic case attached to the column behind where the wheel had been,which was a king sized pain in the ffffffffkin ass...
It contained a long long reel of ribbon cable.I basically kept pulling until it stopped.There is no better way of describing it! ha!

Then the new wheel could go on.I had to buy the different column shroud from a breakers for a fiver.

Finally,removal of the airbag light was a piece of the preverbial.I took this opportunity to renew all duff bulbs,I was there right?

I then congratulated myself with a vessel of biblical temperature tea,soooo large it had to be dropped in through my rare pre-select sunroof

Hope this helps

Groom
Old 27-03-09, 09:02 PM   #4
peanut
Grown up member

so, in shorthand lol
You removed the wheel and bag and the steering column shroud. Fitted non airbag steering coloumn shroud and new wheel the removed te airbag bulb from the instrument cluster. Is that right?
How did you connect up the horn on the on airbag steering wheel?
Ta, cant stand the bloody wheel thats on there at the moment
Gav
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-09, 09:32 PM   #5
Johnny_E
Grown up member

Groomus... get a pic up! I'd like to see that 3 spoker in place.

Is the dash bulb hard to get at? - and ditto with the horn question!

Johnny
Johnny_E is offline   Reply With Quote