Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » sunvisor replacement

Old 18-02-16, 03:57 PM   #11
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

You may well be chasing a problem for a while, at that rate. If it's anything like the V8, you'll end up with the foam breaking up progressively, until you're wearing a veil one day.

You might be better off looking at attacking the headlining sooner than later. Pain in the butt, but it wasn't as hard to tackle as I would have thought.
Old 19-02-16, 11:58 AM   #12
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
You may well be chasing a problem for a while, at that rate. If it's anything like the V8, you'll end up with the foam breaking up progressively, until you're wearing a veil one day.

You might be better off looking at attacking the headlining sooner than later. Pain in the butt, but it wasn't as hard to tackle as I would have thought.
Appreciate the warning The Real MSH! but as I said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggy View Post
Taking everything apart and/or reupholstering isn't really viable in view of using my car daily; also stored outside.
So for the time being, or at least until such time as I'm able to find suitable storage, I'll just have to take the chance with a patch-style repair.
Incidentally. what did you use to restick your headlining?
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 01:34 PM   #13
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I didn't. I stripped it out completely, and fitted a whole new foam backed material that was a fairly close match to the original, using a spray adhesive. It was the only way. The problem being that the foam had degraded so badly, as is the norm, that even a breeze through the windows was taking to dislodging the material. The old foam goes to a dry dust, which breaks up and spreads around freely, and limits what you can slip between the material and the backing board to effect a short term repair.
Old 20-02-16, 11:41 AM   #14
leggy

Do you remember the make/type of spray adhesive that you used The Real MSH!?
Old 20-02-16, 01:07 PM   #15
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I don't recall. It was supplied by AS trim as part of a big order that I placed. It was a spray adhesive, which won't suit you, as you need space to spray it, away from the car. It sticks....like glue.....

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/

In their technical department, there's a fella called James, I think. He would be worth talking to, as he might have some ideas for something in the short term.
The spray adhesive has a solvent which needs to evaporate, allowing the adhesive to go tacky. It's a contact adhesive, and once the mating faces come together, you destroy the material getting them apart.

I can understand the desire not to get involved with doing a retrim, but if the cars that I have are anything to go by, you'll be doing a patch job on a frequent basis, and that might also make doing a more permanent repair difficult at a later date. Just something to consider.

I'm lucky() in that I can do one board at a time, taken from one project, and fit back into the next. It might be worth looking into sourcing a comple head lining separately, and getting that prepped, for a straight swap.

A local company quoted £500+ to retrim one car, and I wasn't too thrilled with their description of the method.
Old 20-02-16, 02:42 PM   #16
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
...I can understand the desire not to get involved with doing a retrim, but if the cars that I have are anything to go by, you'll be doing a patch job on a frequent basis, and that might also make doing a more permanent repair difficult at a later date. Just something to consider...
Just wanted to clarify that my situation is not a case of "the desire not to get involved with doing a retrim" The Real MSH!...
It's more a case of not being able to do so atm; my car is parked outside in a private car park with cars parked either side, and I also use my car daily. As such, I am very limited in so far as what repairs I am able to carry out myself due to having nowhere clean & dry in which to work, to store parts, and/or indeed to lay out a headlining whilst I prepare the interior, and in turn the lining itself for a refit. I should also imagine that a retrim would take a couple of days to complete, to do it properly anyway, and I'd rather not be subjected to trying to get the job done before it p's down and/or in view needing to drive somewhere.
I do understand that a patch job may not be ideal, and that further problems such as those that you have described could be the result later on, however, I would rather make the effort to at least try and prevent the sagging from getting any worse over the next few months, or at least until I can find suitable storage, than as you have said, to "end up wearing a veil one day".

Thanks for the link btw ...
I'll give them a call on Monday to see if they are able to recommend a spray adhesive that could be applied via a straw on the nozzle through the visor fixing hole in the fabric without it needing time to evaporate, and more importantly, without staining or marking the fabric.
Old 24-02-16, 11:53 AM   #17
leggy

Just spoke with James at AS trim...
He's suggested using this stuff:

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/index.php?m...roducts_id=668
Old 24-02-16, 12:16 PM   #18
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I think thats the stuff I used.
However, its probably not going to work for you; it sprays rather like party string, and once its on, it doesn't come off. So I see a problem trying to get it into a restricted space, while sat inside the car.

I had a thought-
How about some 3M double sided tape, or double sided adhesive foam tape.
If you could pull the material back a little, and clean away as much of the degraded foam dust as possible, you would probably be able to cut a strip of tape, and use that.

Something like this-
http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-vhb-acr...FUAaAvUk8P8HAQ

Last edited by Hanuman; 24-02-16 at 12:18 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-16, 01:50 PM   #19
leggy

Well if it is the same stuff you used and comes out like party string, agreed, it's no flippin good to me! - I need something that will spray a 'mist' through a straw on the nozzle (through that tiny visor fixing hole in the fabric) so that it ends up on the underside of the roof, then I can push the fabric on to it.

IDK, maybe a craft shop will have a spray adhesive....it's just the fabric, foam (possibly broken up), card(?), then metal of the roof right?
[thinking] I need something that will be suitable for fabric, card and metal.

I had considered double-sided tape but in view of head lining fabric being so thin, well I think the outline of the tape will show through and it might also tear the fabric during removal later on.