Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » 100 Avant C3 t44 self leveling suspension

Old 24-01-17, 05:02 PM   #1
simons2
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default 100 Avant C3 t44 self leveling suspension

Good afternoon Gents
I'm looking for info on the self leveling rear suspension fitted to 100 Avants.
I've found some info regarding this set up and the similarities between this and Mercedes but can anyone give me some more info or point me in the right direction.
I would like to be as clued up as much as possible. i.e. can it be rebuilt? Compatibility of parts? Parts availability? Works of it? Conversion to springs & shocks?
Thank you in advance.
Simon
simons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 09:45 PM   #2
ovalking
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I think the system is great when it's working, but it's hardly reliable. Every component on my car has been a problem at some point.

Conversion to a standard arrangement is the natural consideration, but it's not straightforward due to the relationship with the braking system.

I chose to get replacement parts, but they're expensive and hard to find.

A search on here for 'self-levelling suspension' brings up 31 entries, a few of which give relevant info.

What problem are you trying to solve?
ovalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 10:10 PM   #3
Sandro
Grown up member

On my A100 avant it works very good and I really like how it works. On speed bumps can really hear pressure changing in rear shocks.
But on my V8 I have one shock leaks if anyone is sitting at the rear of the car and I do look forwards to change self levelling suspension to "normal" spring suspension
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 10:46 PM   #4
TeXerv
Grown up member

I provide repair services for all Audi hydro pneumatic self levelling suspension systems. Suspension struts and accumulator spheres as well. Feel free to eMail me for further informations.
TeXerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 11:37 PM   #5
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

If the system is currently working, then congratulations, you have a rarity.

The hydraulic spheres will most likely be your first components to fail; you will notice your rear end becoming increasingly more 'bouncy'. If you can get them repaired, do so.

The next critical part is your self-leveling valve. When this fails, usually noticed through leakage of hydraulic fluid, you are in trouble if you cannot find a replacement. They are hard to find.

At this point you are left with the option of converting to standard rear suspension. You will need standard rear springs and shocks and a good mechanic will be able to re-route the hydraulics through the car's existing brake regulator, so your brakes will be fine.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 10:14 AM   #6
TeXerv
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
If the system is currently working, then congratulations, you have a rarity.
Of Course

Quote:
The hydraulic spheres will most likely be your first components to fail; you will notice your rear end becoming increasingly more 'bouncy'. If you can get them repaired, do so.
That`s right. Exhausted suspension spheres are the most common cause for leaking struts. A lack of nitrogen pressure prevents the struts to deflect and the strut seals will leak sooner or later. But the spheres can be overhauled and refreshed as long as the diaphragm isn't blown. In many cases conversions of spheres with other makes are possible.

Quote:
The next critical part is your self-leveling valve. When this fails, usually noticed through leakage of hydraulic fluid, you are in trouble if you cannot find a replacement. They are hard to find.
The worst case indeed. But in many cases the regulation valves can be repaired as well.

Quote:
.... a good mechanic will be able to re-route the hydraulics through the car's existing brake regulator, so your brakes will be fine.
I'm sorry but: If the levelling suspension is switched with a conventional one, the brake force regulator must be replaced with a conventional one as well. The regulator gets it's regulation pressure from the height regulation valve. If it is disconnected, or not properly working, the brake force regulator will not get suitable pressure ratios.

The complete refurbish of a levelling suspension is not that cheap however even though the costs for new parts (if available) are considerable higher. A conversion to a normal suspension might be the cheaper way. But on the other hand, if a repair is possible, one can keep a rare car in original condition. I think this is the question: Is may car in well condition and I want to keep it in original state? Then a refurbish could be the right way.
But if my car is rusty or not in that good condition and I want to get it back on the road as quick and cheap as possible, a conversion would be the right decision.
TeXerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 06:46 PM   #7
simons2
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thank you guys for your input thus far. I'm hoping all will be ok but want to be clued up should I have a problem and what route I can go down.
Many thanks
simons2 is offline   Reply With Quote