Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Shudders after braking??

Old 23-01-17, 09:45 AM   #1
jack1
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Shudders after braking??

Hi all,,Audi 100 c3 2.2 cd
Recently after driving for 5/6 miles I had to brake suddenly and when I started to build up speed from 40 onwards it started to shudder violenty,,it happened a week previous but wasn't as bad,,when I drove last time all was fine until I had to brake hard then it started???? Any suggestions please
jack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-17, 11:16 AM   #2
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Sound like the pads need dropping out and the calipers given a good wire brushing. If there is a lot of dust build up/rust the pads can struggle to move back from the disc after heavy braking.
Old 23-01-17, 01:16 PM   #3
jack1
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tun View Post
Sound like the pads need dropping out and the calipers given a good wire brushing. If there is a lot of dust build up/rust the pads can struggle to move back from the disc after heavy braking.

Could it be the discs warped?? Maybe
Old 23-01-17, 01:19 PM   #4
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1 View Post
Could it be the discs warped?? Maybe
My experience of warped discs is that they judder with any braking not just heavy.
Old 23-01-17, 01:25 PM   #5
jack1
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tun View Post
My experience of warped discs is that they judder with any braking not just heavy.
That's the thing it does judder lightly around 60mph but once brakes are applied it gets more severe and continues to judder as I then accelerate,,if parked for a little while it's ok again till I brake again??
Old 23-01-17, 06:50 PM   #6
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Just seen your post and two things cross my mind, you may have a slight warped discs that you may feel or not feel under normal braking and a semi-seized brake caliper piston or caliper sliders, from what you have said the juddering dose go away after a short time, you do need to strip down and service you brakes, you can do a simple test with a laser thermometer by driving the car have a go on the brakes to find the judder point, drive a little bit (200m) and stop, use the laser thermometer to find what brake has the highest temperature, that's the one that has a problem, you could use your fingers on the disc but I don't recommend it.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 07:27 AM   #7
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Have you serviced the brakes recently?
A couple of years ago I re-assembled my front brakes after painting the front struts and under heavy braking would get a judder. When I stripped them down again I found a blob of paint (just a tiny bit) under the top hat of one of the discs which had kept the disc from sitting flat against the hub. Paint removed re-assembled and braking judder gone.
Old 24-01-17, 07:48 AM   #8
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1 View Post
Hi all,,Audi 100 c3 2.2 cd
Recently after driving for 5/6 miles I had to brake suddenly and when I started to build up speed from 40 onwards it started to shudder violenty,,it happened a week previous but wasn't as bad,,when I drove last time all was fine until I had to brake hard then it started???? Any suggestions please
As above it's likely you have the start of a sticking brake, if you "catch it quick" so to speak, then you'll just have to deal with the actual issue.......leave for longer and you'll still need to sort the actual fault plus replace parts that will suffer due to excessive heat.
As Colin mentioned......use your infra-red-finger......you'll soon know!!...........or give it a run of a few miles making sure to use the brakes, then jack it up and compare how freely each wheel turns....or not.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote