Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » The "Classic Audi Forum".

Old 28-11-16, 01:39 PM   #1
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default The "Classic Audi Forum".

It's quiet, anyone disagree ??
Why?
I was reading a post which stated more pictures on facebook.....this isn't a criticism of the thread in question, but it got me thinking why.
Is it easier for most folks to use facebook instead of this forum?....if yes is this because folk are using their phone more than a computer.......and they can do it anytime/anywhere/anyplace?
Does it cost a facebook user to use the CA facebook site?.......I'm thinking not. Will this mean a decline in interest for folks to be paid up member's of this forum?.......as why pay money to post something for sale and state a price, if you can just ask for offers on facebook?.......or is this against facebook rules? I genuinely don't know.
Is this forum on a slippery slope? I do hope this is not the case.

Anyone else.

Peace and love chaps and chappess's.
John.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 02:00 PM   #2
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

I regularly visit the forum on my phone, even made this post on it - I have never used Facebook and hope it stays that way.

At the risk of sounding a bit mushy, I have met some genuinely first-rate people on here I would otherwise not be in contact with, swapped ideas, parts with them.

I hope it can persist, along with the general ambience of tolerance, helpfulness, occasional banter and friendship this place offers
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 02:05 PM   #3
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Been thinking the same John.It's not much fun going to the trouble of uploading pics to photo bucket and put them on here thinking people might be interested when clearly they're not and you only get 2 replies. I'm referring to my tuesday and wednesday in pictures showing the A2 next to your S2 when i bought it. It was a good pic that got ignored. Your thread the other day "yesterday in pics" Bess's birthday, just 4 different people replied.

It's not worth the effort if people can't appreciate others hard work in trying to keep the forum going, those that can't be bothered or just want to ignore then that's up to them,but they should realise they are doing the forum no favours. It's sad!

Ps............. i know people are ignoring other members threads............you can see lots of people viewing the new thread or post content Don't ask me how? but just ignore it which is strange as some these threads are good.

PPs, Agree with Marks (Melis comments)
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 02:06 PM   #4
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

I definitely think some people find it hard to post pictures on here, which doesn't help. Still think its a good forum though. I don't use facebook personally so cannot comment on that.

Also, I have enjoyed the pics in question, but don't always have a great reply. I have often thought about putting or something but just think it doesn't always add to the thread.

Last edited by audi80fan; 28-11-16 at 02:10 PM.
audi80fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 02:14 PM   #5
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi80fan View Post
I definitely think some people find it hard to post pictures on here, which doesn't help. Still think its a good forum though. I don't use facebook personally so cannot comment on that.

Also, I have enjoyed the pics in question, but don't always have a great reply. I have often thought about putting or something but just think it doesn't always add to the thread.
Amen!
Old 28-11-16, 02:35 PM   #6
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I tried to keep off facebook as long as I could but ended up joining , however there seems ? to be a different set of people that use the facebook page as opposed to the forum or is it me? , it is easier to put pictures up on facebook , rather than having to save it to photobucket then add to here....

There is a hardcore set of people who will always want to contribute to the forum, rather than the facebook page.

I believe you'd receive a far more informed & reliable answer to a problem/question/help for assistance on here than on facebook, as there is probably more fly by nighters on facebook , not having a go in anyway, just an observation from experience

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 02:36 PM   #7
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacky View Post

I believe you'd receive a far more informed & reliable answer to a problem/question/help for assistance on here than on facebook, as there is probably more fly by nighters on facebook , not having a go in anyway, just an observation from experience
Agree- there are people on here who know audi's inside out!! Total respect

Hey Mark (vdt) i know sometimes I have felt a bit like I'm late to the party if i see a thread a day or two later - i try and chime in if I feel i have something useful to say, i posted a suggestion i think about your cabrio leather from the pool in Cape Verde! Other times there have been times when I have felt like i have given a thread the 'kiss of death' as I will be the last to post. And i have come across the ignoring thing myself - then left feeling like ive upset people...? Hopefully not?!

Last edited by Mellis46; 28-11-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 28-11-16, 02:48 PM   #8
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm not a big one for posting, on here or Facebook, more of a face to face person to be honest. I think one of the problems for the forum is that it has become or is becoming too 'Niche'. Maybe we should be more diverse and embrace the new generation of classic Audi's, rather than become the quattro forum which may as well be called the UR quattro forum.
Old 28-11-16, 03:00 PM   #9
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tun View Post
Maybe we should be more diverse and embrace the new generation of classic Audi's, rather than become the quattro forum which may as well be called the UR quattro forum.
agreed , if you think this forum is 10 years old next year & by the simple fact of time "newer" audi's become classics like all the others we all have, I'm sure most/alot of us have all got newer audi's which don't get mentioned... or even other cars which we own which could have its own forum section??

I personally have got stuck in an 1980's/90's time warp which I prefer to be in

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111

Last edited by slacky; 28-11-16 at 03:04 PM. Reason: or even other cars which we own which could have its own forum section??
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 03:07 PM   #10
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm probably one of the culprits of it being quieter on here if I'm honest. I still look on here every day but its a bit of a viscous circle really because you flick on, see nothing new has been said and end up flicking off again. I think every thing on facebook is just a bit quicker, easy to upload photos, you get instant and more vast response on facebook and the app is basically part of your phone.

I do agree though that you get a much more unique, in depth knowledge from some of the guys on here that literally know every nut and bolt of an Audi and I for one would have really struggled with my car if it wasnt for this Forum. Hence I will always support. Again though going back to the viscous circle thing, the last few times I have posted no one has responded so pushes you to join the bigger audience.

Probably hard for any sort of website to not take second place to facebook now as it is almost the new google- you can type anything into it and it comes up! I used to hate it but now its hard not to like it.
Crossle is offline   Reply With Quote