Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » car insurance

Old 12-11-13, 06:40 PM   #1
stuvy
Grown up member

Default car insurance

My partners daughter has just turned 17 I had a look for car insurance for her on a fiesta 1996 1.3, it was on gocompare and came back at £2400!!!

Does anyone have sons or daughters and have an idea of what there paying?
stuvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 07:02 PM   #2
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

That is what my mates little brother had to pay last year for a 1.X Toyota corolla. He could get it slightly cheaper, with the black box, and cheaper with a tracker and a curfew, I don't think the discount was substantial enough for the inconvenience of the curfew though.

He was £2400-£2600 on most normal learner cars.

This second year dropped to £1200 ish.

Pretty mental.

I take it you have added yourself and partner as named drivers? (adding experienced drivers as second and third drivers normally saves a chink)

I used to just sit and batter quotes into confused.com, just trying random cars, you might find something unusual that is reasonable as no 17 year olds are crashing them.

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 08:43 PM   #3
stuvy
Grown up member

I know that a mate passed his test at 17 and was determined to have a landy discovery he got a 3 door 2 seater commercial and it was cheaper than a mate who was 19 and had a 3door 5 seater same vehicle!

I think we're gonna have to bite the bullet and just pay as I'm not loosing my no claims bonus and my missus has never had her own insurance policy as she has always had new company cars
Old 12-11-13, 10:10 PM   #4
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10v View Post
I used to just sit and batter quotes into confused.com, just trying random cars, you might find something unusual that is reasonable as no 17 year olds are crashing them.
THIS

is the best advice available. After the first couple of years insurance companies override insurance groups with actual data. So what you'll find is by doing as Andy said you'll end up with an obscure car that will doubtless be a better all round car that'll be a lot less to insure.

Example for me.

at 18 I had a quote for an Orion 1.6 Ghia - came out at something ludicrous like £1,600 (in 1998!!) Ended up with a Rover 216 se efi which was faster and had a lot more toys and it cost £900 to insure!

When I changed cars I moved up to a Renault 21 2.0 monaco - that was 750 to insure. Then at 19 with one years ncb a CQ cost me just shy of £900. On each occasion the mainstream small cars all cost more to insure! Why, because young people buy old small cars as they have a low insurance rating, then crash them!

So, makes to try are essentially whatever car you associate with oap's!

Rover 600 & 800 & 75
Honda accord
Proton, Kia, Hyundai

You get the picture!
Old 12-11-13, 10:20 PM   #5
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

That is what I figured, if 90% of young drivers have saxo/fiesta etc, and 1/3 of the crash, then 1/3 of young drivers crash in saxo/fiesta etc.......

My 90 was cheaper to insure than mates 1.X shitboxes, and my old man was a lot happier that the car actually had a crumple zone if the things went wrong (which they did, and if we had been in my mates matchbox car that night we would have been dead).

Same goes for S2 etc, dirt cheap to insure, when was the last time you heard of a 20 year old with an S2, far less crashing them, whereas type r/Scooby etc are jumping into the scenery left right and centre.

Some things are daft though, 80 1.9tdi are expensive to insure for some reason, more expensive than my S2 (and was stupid expensive when I was on my mums policy).

I would find what is big, old, safe and cheap, you do not want to be in a saxo and get hit at a junction etc.

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 10:24 PM   #6
stuvy
Grown up member

I'm gonna give that a go for a giggle and see if it makes any difference.

I know my own cq is £140 for me and the missus I looked at a v70r awd recently and it was £100 per year, loads faster but more boring obviously