Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » 80Q Clutch slave cylinder

Old 03-12-10, 10:33 AM   #1
Hoyle
80q addict
Classic Audi Club Member

Default 80Q Clutch slave cylinder

I'm having a few issues with the 80q which i think are down to the slave cylinder.

Hopefully someone could advise on what to look for and where to source a new cylinder.

The issue I've had was over 24 hours the top half of the clutch pedal got lighter and lighter until the only resistance was right at the bottom of the pedal and I could no longer select gears (as if air had got into the system).

I checked the fluid reservoir for the clutch and it was empty, suggesting a leak, so I've topped this up anyway.

There doesn't seem to be any visible leaks around the footwell (don't want to rule out master cyl yet) nor are there any visible leaks around the bellhousing (could be internal).

Is it worth attempting to pressure bleed the system anyway to see if i get a pedal back?

Also where's best to purchase either cylinder from? I've found a slave at GSF, £23.50 plus vat & postage, but I've no idea on the quality or brand.

Any tips for looking or checking at all? Or even tips of how best to go about swapping the cylinder? I've read Phil Payne's guide and it seems straight forward, but fiddly/awkward!

Hoyle.

My 80 Quattro thread
Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 12:06 AM   #2
Hoyle
80q addict
Classic Audi Club Member

Anyone info would be greatly appreciated.

My 80 Quattro thread
Old 05-12-10, 07:33 PM   #3
Hoyle
80q addict
Classic Audi Club Member

Update: Pressure bled the system today and it seems to be ok now, perhaps it took a little air in? I don't know.

The fluid level hasn't dropped yet so i may be lucky for now. Slave cyl ordered and will remain on standby!

My 80 Quattro thread
Old 06-12-10, 06:01 PM   #4
urS6
Grown up member

I went through two master cylinders on my 80q, but it was still on the original slave when I scrapped it at after 120k miles of ownership. I remember lying on my back in the driver's footwell wrestling with some wretched washer at the end of a pliers trying to get it on to a shaft. I think I swore quite a bit - didn't seem to help. I was covered in brake fluid - even my hair.

Check (run your fingers over the bottom of the master cylinder) for leakages.

The slave is a bit of a bugger to get to as well, as I think that's where the bleed nipple is.
urS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 06:57 PM   #5
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Got one years ago.

Can you still get repair kits,for both cylinders?If so,where?
Thanks.

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 11:38 PM   #6
urS6
Grown up member

Both master and slave cylinders (non OEM) used to be pretty cheap, and even the OEM ones were affordable. Also, on the 80q, the walls of the master cylinder were a bit pitted - could possibly have been honed, but probably not worth the effort.

In the case of the S6s, I think I've done four master cylinder replacements in about 200k of ownership - one was leaking hydraulics, and three were bent or snapped rod problems.

Paul
urS6 is offline   Reply With Quote