Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » 2.3 20 7A A Few Questions

Old 21-12-17, 05:22 PM   #11
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

There is a formula that shows how much water is produced from burning 1 gallon of pertrol, I think it something like 1.5 gallons of water per gallon of petrol burnt.
I guess that in cold climates (or winter) we see more condensation as the colder air can't hold the water vapour so its visible where in warm climates (or summer) its contained so not visible.

I'm sure someone with a PHD in physics can explain whats happening and why.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 05:27 PM   #12
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrodave View Post
There is a formula that shows how much water is produced from burning 1 gallon of pertrol, I think it something like 1.5 gallons of water per gallon of petrol burnt.
I guess that in cold climates (or winter) we see more condensation as the colder air can't hold the water vapour so its visible where in warm climates (or summer) its contained so not visible.

I'm sure someone with a PHD in physics can explain whats happening and why.
I used to know that, isn't it 10 -11 gallons of petrol per gallon of water vapour ?
Not sure and cant remember, too much cr@p has passed between my ears since my engineering learning days.

Thanks for all the confirms lads, just never had a engine produce as much water vapour as this, even the Cobra with the slightly larger engine doesn't produce as much water vapour as the Audi. Doesn't do half as much to the gallon either, so I shouldn't complain.

Cheers boys and girls

David
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 07:44 PM   #13
simonthemedic
Grown up member

I had the same on my b3 and b4. I once fitted a new rear silencer and ran the engine to check for leaks from the joint. It was blowing slightly so off with the new exhaust silencer to clean the mating faces and fit a new sealing ring.
Could hear the water sloshing around inside and tipped out what must have been almost a mug full. All that water had been produced after idling the engine for no more than 5 minutes. No loss of engine coolant or other signs of head gasket failure btw.

Refitted it and drilled a 2mm drain hole on the underside of the silencer, immediately this reduced condensation produced in the winter and was quite surprised by how much water drained out when parked on an incline.
simonthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 10:00 PM   #14
Davids
4 ring whore!

Thanks for all the help lads, and more overly comforting words that it isn't unique, guess I shall give it a bit of an Italian tune up over smash
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-17, 06:20 PM   #15
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Looks like the later cars have the same problem, this RS6 seller does hinself no favours on the Ebay pictures with the engine running, exhaust looks likes its smoking !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-RS6-....c100005.m1851
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote