Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » how do you remove.......

Old 09-06-14, 06:56 AM   #11
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Is this one of the few items that hasn't gone nla. Assumed they wouldn't be available anymore. Will pop along after work. Fingers crossed....

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 07:08 AM   #12
farmer phil
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I have some welding rods which I have used many times ,you just weld a m12 bolt to the end of the locking stud then undo ,they are made to extract broken studs from housings you do get e bit of staining but thats a small price to pay .
farmer phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 07:09 AM   #13
quattrostyle
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Would be good if that works for you! Otherwise it would be a case of breaking the outer collar with a screwdriver and a hammer and then use what tonks suggested. However I can see some damage being done to the wheels if you need to go that route.
quattrostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 06:30 PM   #14
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

As expected a trip to Audi resulted in a 'they are no longer supported'. Why am I not surprisedAlmost enough to make me move to an old Merc....
Have one more avenue and then its think of a way that will not result in ANY damage to the wheels. Just wish I could remember where I put the fecking thing.....

Old 09-06-14, 07:18 PM   #15
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
As expected a trip to Audi resulted in a 'they are no longer supported'. Why am I not surprisedAlmost enough to make me move to an old Merc....
Have one more avenue and then its think of a way that will not result in ANY damage to the wheels. Just wish I could remember where I put the fecking thing.....
Its always in the last place you look for it, and always in the last place it was moved to....

I know this sounds 'holistic' but work it through in your mind.... You'll stop looking for it once you find it, and you stopped caring for it once you'd finished using it.... It's here that you'll find it.
Old 09-06-14, 07:52 PM   #16
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Its always in the last place you look for it, and always in the last place it was moved to....

I know this sounds 'holistic' but work it through in your mind.... You'll stop looking for it once you find it, and you stopped caring for it once you'd finished using it.... It's here that you'll find it.
Or its been tidied up with other stuff by Lynn never to see the light of day again. Daughter has started decorating her room herself and guess where everything is from her room..... in mine, just about found a route to my bed last night.....

Old 09-06-14, 09:41 PM   #17
dmacdou1
Grown up member

Just had the same problem with my daughters corsa. Broke the special key cos some donut had put the locknuts on with the windy gun, way overtight. Same style with the rotating collars. Tried various methods including drilling(useless), ended up getting a local mechanic to do it. He welded the rotating bit to the centre bit, and got them off with the "malky a socket on and massive breaker bar" method.
dmacdou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 06:07 AM   #18
Tom C
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

You can get special tools to remove locking wheel nuts like that, my neighbour does it (charges £40/50 a set) it consists of a small tube that deforms into the shape of the key part (basically just hammer the crap out it to get it to fit) then simply undo, look in your area for locking wheel nut removal? Sure to be someone
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 06:10 AM   #19
Tom C
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

http://www.dynomec.co.uk/index.html this is the kit my neighbour has, can book rac/aa to do it? If not email him and see if there is anyone in the local area that are independant garages that can do it. Hope it helps!
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 08:43 AM   #20
spink
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
http://www.dynomec.co.uk/index.html this is the kit my neighbour has, can book rac/aa to do it? If not email him and see if there is anyone in the local area that are independant garages that can do it. Hope it helps!
Looks good,£125+vat inc delivery

Another tip I don't think was mentioned is to over tighten both the wheels studs next to the locking stud so it relieves some pressure when you come to undo the locking stud with whatever method you think it necessary.Probably a good idea to bin those and put some new ones in after
spink is offline   Reply With Quote