Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Bucket seats, fitting info required

Old 07-05-17, 12:13 PM   #1
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Bucket seats, fitting info required

Can anyone advise whether any other makes (VW gti etc) fitting rail will fit my b2 Audi cq. Can't find any seat makers that now supply an Audi one. I'm not to fussed about a tipping mechanism as no one goes in the back of my car. I could just put rally seat rails in but that involves removing the original fixed to floor fittings I think.

Any rally rep owners have advice? What did you do? Hope someone can help. Cheers all.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 01:05 PM   #2
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

This might not help much but our Cobra chairs use the standard runners..

They came with the car, so I've no idea where they were bought, sorry..
Old 07-05-17, 01:48 PM   #3
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

It's a start mate, thanks. I did wonder about fixing to the original runners, I best go look at some seats I guess. The cq interior is currently stripped prior to the roll cage going in, I'm just waiting on a fitting kit from Safety devices. (And of courseach my Hill climb licence.)

[
Old 09-05-17, 07:42 PM   #4
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

If you can get some cheap oem seats or subframes you can strip them down and weld flat bar/box section on to bolt bucket seats onto, lets you adjust them easily. Play with the angle before you weld up fully, my first ones had some silly rake to the bases! Also bolt in so no permanent mods, seat belt buckle is on the subframe on b3/4 so that is sorted as well.

Golf recaro subframes come up for sale more regularly than Audi ones, and can be modified to fit I believe.

If you are fitting a cage you can also just weld bars across with mounting tabs.

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 09:40 PM   #5
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10v View Post
If you can get some cheap oem seats or subframes you can strip them down and weld flat bar/box section on to bolt bucket seats onto, lets you adjust them easily. Play with the angle before you weld up fully, my first ones had some silly rake to the bases! Also bolt in so no permanent mods, seat belt buckle is on the subframe on b3/4 so that is sorted as well.

Golf recaro subframes come up for sale more regularly than Audi ones, and can be modified to fit I believe.

If you are fitting a cage you can also just weld bars across with mounting tabs.
Yup, cage is awaiting fitment, Safety Devices still have the fitment kit...(saved making one up). I did think about just welding in bars as you suggest.. I'm just weighing up the options, however as the car will end up doing hillclimb and sprints I'm only really needing one race seat. I'd just like the passenger seat to resemble whatever I'm using, but adjustable rather than fixed.

Cheers for the idea of the subframe though... that could be a wise and cost effective solution.
Old 31-07-17, 09:52 PM   #6
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10v View Post

Update;

Decided I didn't want to butcher the original seats just in case the car ever returns to 'normal, so I did exactly as suggested. Ended up with VW Polo gti seats from a scrap yard (£25 for the pair).Stripped, chopped, measured and rewelded as per above. Really happy with the results, Sparco seats and Safety devices belts now in. Just tidying up the wiring through the cabin left.