Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » URq tyres - Toyo T1-R 225 50 15 91V

Old 12-01-17, 10:29 PM   #31
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Hi,
Please stop me if I become a tyre bore! I spent a huge amount of time over the past few years training people on all things tyres related. There are some folk out there who think they are just black and round! But in general you really do get what you pay for! We regularly cut apart, Hi Fly's, Evergreens, Jinyu and so on to see how they are constructed. And some of the results are shocking! Will get of soap box 📦 now! Apologies for crashing your tread.😎
On the contrary. I'd like to see this information and knowledge, and even presented in a demistified form.
I can't recall the tyre make, now. But I drove a car some years back on relatively fresh Chinese budget tyres. It was remarkably bad, and goes some way to explain how people get themselves into bother.

My brother is one of those people who believes he's gods gift to driving, and he hasn't a clue when he's approaching the limit of adhesion. Mostly, though, he's saved by road congestion and good rubber.
The tyres on the above mentioned vehicle (which was a quattro model) started to feel vague at some fairly low speeds, and in the wet were just lethal. How they managed to get approved for sale is beyond me.
Old 12-01-17, 10:54 PM   #32
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
On the contrary. I'd like to see this information and knowledge, and even presented in a demistified form.
I can't recall the tyre make, now. But I drove a car some years back on relatively fresh Chinese budget tyres. It was remarkably bad, and goes some way to explain how people get themselves into bother.

My brother is one of those people who believes he's gods gift to driving, and he hasn't a clue when he's approaching the limit of adhesion. Mostly, though, he's saved by road congestion and good rubber.
The tyres on the above mentioned vehicle (which was a quattro model) started to feel vague at some fairly low speeds, and in the wet were just lethal. How they managed to get approved for sale is beyond me.
Unfortunately a lot of these Chinese tyre companies are able to reinvent their product so quickly. I was at a tyre expo in 2014 and they would make a tyre with what ever name I wanted on the side wall and would provide what ever tyre labelling I wanted! Other companies have blatantly ripped of our tread patterns and when cease & desist letters are sent they fold and Phoenix it to something else! Tyres & Tyre technology is fascinating subject. Just please remember the most important part of tyre maintenance. Is simply getting the right pressures and then maintaining it. ���� enough now! Warned you I'm a proper tyre geek ��
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 12:10 AM   #33
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Michelin tb15 are legal i think, tarmac rally tyres but do look very odd..
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 08:14 AM   #34
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I only said Nankang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 12:37 PM   #35
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

😂 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13-01-17, 02:01 PM   #36
Philip
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Hi,

Please stop me if I become a tyre bore! I spent a huge amount of time over the past few years training people on all things tyres related. There are some folk out there who think they are just black and round! But in general you really do get what you pay for! We regularly cut apart, Hi Fly's, Evergreens, Jinyu and so on to see how they are constructed. And some of the results are shocking! Will get of soap box 📦 now! Apologies for crashing your tread.😎

I am very pleased to read your views on tyres. I have always subsribed to the view that not all tyres are the same. But it is difficult to know which brand/tyre to choose. Whilst on balance I accept that a more expensive brand will be better than a cheap brand, the most expensive tyre is not necessarily the best. You only find out after you have made your purchase. I am not sure how much the simple scores for wet grip, noise and economy are? - Some surprising scores to be seen there!

You refer to training and cutting open tyres. Any in-depth knowlege you have would be welcome here.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 06:15 PM   #37
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I am very pleased to read your views on tyres. I have always subsribed to the view that not all tyres are the same. But it is difficult to know which brand/tyre to choose. Whilst on balance I accept that a more expensive brand will be better than a cheap brand, the most expensive tyre is not necessarily the best. You only find out after you have made your purchase. I am not sure how much the simple scores for wet grip, noise and economy are? - Some surprising scores to be seen there!

You refer to training and cutting open tyres. Any in-depth knowlege you have would be welcome here.

Hi Phillip,

I totally agree tyre choice is a deeply personal thing and incredibly subjective. Made increasingly hard by the tyre labelling. The test criteria for the labelling varies massively. A good example of this is as follows. The wet breaking test for Summer tyres. This can be conducted by a manufacturer in a temperature range from 40 - 15 degrees centigrade. Some manufacturers will opt to test in Hot conditions others will test in more temperate conditions, this will then make it impossible for a consumer to determine how good or bad different tyre really is as you don't know what temperatures the tyres where tested in originally to draw a scientific comparison. On the whole the premium manufacturers tend to test around the average European summer temperature of 20 degrees. In short it's a mine field.

The only further advice I would give is buy the best brand that you can afford, the contact patch of a tyre is about the size of your hand and your going to transmit all your acceleration, braking & steering inputs in to 4 relatively small patches. So where possible try and avoid ditch finders and part worn tyres are the worst.

And that's me back off the soapbox.

It's been great to converse with such a great bunch of Audi owners. Have a fab weekend everyone.

Old 13-01-17, 06:37 PM   #38
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:

😂 lol

I Like that! Especially the Koala bear.

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 10:58 PM   #39
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Been wondering whether to change the T1-R to Hankook EVO for reasons you state and the fact I lose grip in 2nd on anything but a perfectly dry road with the Toyo's

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 08:19 AM   #40
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vcqdriver View Post
Been wondering whether to change the T1-R to Hankook EVO for reasons you state and the fact I lose grip in 2nd on anything but a perfectly dry road with the Toyo's
I think compound technology has come on a lot recently. Sadly, that tends to favour the larger rim size. But/however, some manufacturers do produce good modern boots for 15/16" rims.

In my humble opion, I would far sooner have modern tyre technology than originality. The static contact area of a Ur tyre is probably about 2" by 7" per rim, which sounds impressive until it's attached to ancient/old and thermally tempered tyres with less than ideal water dispersion design.