Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Typ 44 disc problem

Old 04-03-14, 12:30 AM   #1
DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

Default Typ 44 disc problem

Hi everyone,

I'm damned if i know what's going on here! This is the story;
I have had the whole front suspension refreshed, new bushes, discs, pads, wheel bearings subframes powder coated the lot. Just buttoning everything back up and cannot get the front discs to sit on the hubs with the carriers over them. When i bolt up the carriers it's as if the hub is not spinning close enough to the hub carrier and so therefore the disc will not sit correctly - it is being pulled off centre by the postion of the carrier. The only thing i can think is the bearings aren't sitting in the hubs as they should. They are apparently correct 82mm dia by 37mm width stepped inside, the same as what came out. I'm scratching my head here! Do the bearing fit a certain way? Does anybody know how close the back of the hub should be to the carrier? Mine is approx 4mm away.

DERV
DERV_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 07:47 AM   #2
Micky
Mr Fifty Thousand!
Classic Audi Club Member

Not sure what you mean ? When you build up the front you put the disk on first then the carrier which it should all be flopping about then fit the brakes. The disk does still move slightly to you put the wheel back on .if you fitted new pads open the brakes first . It is s fiddly job I don't know why they never used a grub screw to stop the disk moving

Last edited by Micky; 04-03-14 at 07:52 AM.
Micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 07:57 AM   #3
DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

Hi, yep disc is going on first. Then as you bolt up the carrier it pulls the disc over to that side because the hub underneath the disc seems to out too far pushing on the back of the disc. The bearings appear to be right, the only thing I can think of is that they are somehow not pressed into the hub far enough but the circlip is in it's groove and won't obviously go in any further! It's doing my head in! The whole rear end went back together like a breeze!
Old 04-03-14, 07:59 AM   #4
DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

Forgot to say when we pressed the old bearings out we measured them against the new with the micrometer - 87mm dia by 37mm width exactly same as what came out.
Old 04-03-14, 08:57 AM   #5
Micky
Mr Fifty Thousand!
Classic Audi Club Member

When you put the hub on you never left the washer behind it
Micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 09:23 AM   #6
DERV_Monkey
Grown up member

Thanks for the replies. Sorted it! There is no circlip holding the bearings in on 5 bolt quattro hubs due to the ridged casting inside the hub. I had assembled using the circlip aswell so this put everything out. Good excuse for beer consumption this eve i think....