Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Water...

Old 07-02-16, 02:42 PM   #21
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

yeah, the white patches are the delamination of the windscreen, I don't think its that, I am pretty sure, like 99% sure it coming from the seal above the pollen filter. I just need to know how to reseal it, and if I can change the motor that controls the flap? (is there a way of testing this?)

So far its been a depressing few months with this car, this month I even considered just breaking the whole thing, but that has now passed...
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 02:45 PM   #22
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
afterthought: can you reseal using plumbers black silicone? that should surely make a really good water seal?

BTW, yes the front footwell is soaking as well
You could reseal with anything but you might not be able to get it up again. I would use the correct stuff Audi use.It's the black sticky pliable chord they use to seal the rear 80 lamps with.

By the way i didn't recognise that flap but that's because mine isn't Aircon.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 03:05 PM   #23
leggy

Quote:
yeah, the white patches are the delamination of the windscreen, I don't think its that, I am pretty sure, like 99% sure it coming from the seal above the pollen filter. I just need to know how to reseal it, and if I can change the motor that controls the flap? (is there a way of testing this?)

So far its been a depressing few months with this car, this month I even considered just breaking the whole thing, but that has now passed...

Wasn't suggesting that the white patched area of your windscreen is the cause of your current leak, just giving you a heads up if you like by way of answering your concerns about your screen having white patch or patches.
That said, if the windscreen seal is compromised/weak, and white patch/patches would suggest that it is, well water could be seeping through that part of the screen seal to the area under the bonnet where the filter is situated, so might be worth doing the hose thing just to be sure.

Good to know that you're not a quitter too! - It can be very depressing when you fix one fault only to end up with or to find another, been there many a time and believe me, your patience and perseverance will be rewarded in the end.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 05:28 PM   #24
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:

Hi Lee, have just spent an hour or so re-reading your thread starting when you first bought the Cabrio around about the 24th Nov 2013 ?

It is an amazing thread with so much work being done on the car and so much invested into it both in terms of labour and hard earned cash. I really think that to break the car would be a terrible waste of your project which has inspired me to buy what I'm working on right now. I'll never be able to justify the expenditure that you have but still hope to end up with something useable and attractive at the end of the day.

The water issue is most likely a problem from around that front scuttle area and as Mark says, the pollen filter area and scuttle sealing is very important as well as clearing the drain holes in that same area. However, whilst you say you have driven the car in heavy rain conditions, there is still a big difference to having it parked and having rain driven at it from the side, in a gale more than likely. Water coming at it from the front is no problem for the side seals , but it is if the car is parked in a 40-50 mph wind with rain added into the equation and blowing from the side. Is the car parked on the level or on a slope? That could have an effect too?

I sense that you will be selling your car soon, but if you do make that big decision, then I for one will be sorry as I think your Cabbie is in the top three of that type of car on this Forum and it'll be a shame to see it go.

Frank.
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 06:10 PM   #25
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank View Post
...I sense that you will be selling your car soon, but if you do make that big decision, then I for one will be sorry as I think your Cabbie is in the top three of that type of car on this Forum and it'll be a shame to see it go.

Frank.
What he ^^^ said! ...
Don't do it, pulleeze! 1781cc
Old 08-02-16, 02:20 PM   #26
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank View Post
Hi Lee, have just spent an hour or so re-reading your thread starting when you first bought the Cabrio around about the 24th Nov 2013?

It is an amazing thread with so much work being done on the car and so much invested into it both in terms of labour and hard earned cash. I really think that to break the car would be a terrible waste of your project which has inspired me to buy what I'm working on right now. I'll never be able to justify the expenditure that you have but still hope to end up with something useable and attractive at the end of the day.

I sense that you will be selling your car soon, but if you do make that big decision, then I for one will be sorry as I think your Cabbie is in the top three of that type of car on this Forum and it'll be a shame to see it go.

Frank.
Hi mate, thanks for reading the thread, glad you found it inspiring, but its like all things, sometimes the negatives and positives fall out of balance and you have to weigh up which way to go with it, also storage is a factor as leggy and I have discussed before, I have a two car driveway, a single garage and I own 3 cars, the wife owns one, so we are one over what we need ideally.

I haven't yet made the decision to sell, its popped into my head several times, either by selling it whole, stripping off the bits I can get good money for (hardtop, coilovers, brocks) and selling stock.

If I could get the water sorted, as well as this battery drain issue I keep having, then I will be a step closer to being happy, but between the two, its been a real test of my faith.

I think that if I do sell I will regret it, but on the flip it would solve the problems with storage and give me a pile of cash to blow on making the TT faster round the track.

I think I need problems solved, some sunshine and a road trip and it will be all love again, but that seems like a million miles away...

Are you going to run a thread on yours?
Old 08-02-16, 03:00 PM   #27
leggy

#1 - Is extending driveway into front grass garden area (if you have front garden) an option?
#2 - A neighbour of mine buys/sells cars and stores them around here, it's outside but I'm 99% sure that I could twist his arm...not ideal for me as I need under-cover due to wanting to strip engine if/when I take my boy off-road...I'd rather try and help in some way if I can though if it means you not selling her!
(nb. a fair distance from you I know, but still local-ish and I'd be more than happy to check in on her, take her for a spin, etc )

RE battery drain: had the same problem for many years (you may have read my threads on the topic), to the point that I was going through batteries at a rate of 1/yr.
Did all the standard battery/alternator/etc tests to no avail, and I'm pretty certain now that the cause of the drain was the cable set for tailgate, as in, wire weakness/breakage at vulnerable point where cable bends near boot hinge causing a possible short with electrics; my tail lights just stopped working one day and after a few meter checks and a simple by-pass repair (live feed), well I got the tail-lights working again and my battery drain issue now seems to be resolved!
(That said, if you're getting water in pollen/air filter motor, could be that that's causing your drain. )

In any case, softly softly catchy the monkey as they say, just focus on one thing at a time and it'll all come together soon enough...oh and it goes without saying that a sunny day always helps, that big yellow thing will be back up in the sky again before you know it - throwing some faith your way buddy.

Last edited by leggy; 08-02-16 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 03:25 PM   #28
leggy

Hey 1781cc, bingo!...
How about a swap? The deal being, I'll look after your cabbie (once repaired of course), maybe the V10 too...I'd take good care of them both, promise!....and in return, well I'll let you strip/clean my boys engine for me, and believe me, I don't trust many people with my boy these days, so consider it an honor.
Won't help either of us long-term with storage I know, but will certainly buy us some time...whatja say?...deal? (answer: , )
Old 08-02-16, 03:30 PM   #29
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

ha ha ha, doesn't seem like a fair deal to me... the V10 running costs are pretty exorbitant!

Seriously though, I like to keep all my cars close, my work movement are completely random, so the days I get to work on them are so varied, this way when they come up I have to jump on them as soon as they do.

On the plus, SWMBO has just mentioned that the neighbour opposite is moving to Thailand and is renting the house out, his garage is distant from the house, so I might make him an offer tonight...
Old 08-02-16, 04:00 PM   #30
leggy

Not fair? - that was an awesome deal!...
and it even put a smile on your face! what more could you/I ask for?

I completely understand your reasons for wanting to keep your cars close, I mean, you'd have to be seriously bonkers to store any car miles away from home and out of sight these days, more so if you own a classic!

Anyhow, good luck with garage talks!

Quote:
...the V10 running costs are pretty exorbitant!...
If all of above storage solutions don't work/work out, well there's your answer ^^^ right there!
...sell the V10!

Last edited by leggy; 08-02-16 at 04:54 PM.