Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Air con not working

Old 19-04-11, 06:44 AM   #1
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Air con not working

And the UK's increasingly tropical climate is not a good time for that to be.

I have found that my previously supercool aircon in the V8 is now mostly ambient outside air. Not good. I can't hear my music with the windows open at those speeds...
There is a possibility that my little escapade with the motorway debris ripping the undertray off the car has done more damage. I found a wood chip lodged in the aircon rad core.

So. Having never had a car with aircon failure before, I am now contemplating having the car looked at by a local company that advertises aircon repairs.

Hopefully, the problem can be traced quite easily. But any pointers from thems whats dunnit before?
Old 19-04-11, 07:38 AM   #2
rtz62

Leave it to the experts; the compressor might be u/s, as may the drier. The rad sounds shot, and if you havent used the aircon regularly (at least 5-10 mins once a month) you may find that joints will now have dried out and leak gas (the company should be able to determine this) as the gas acts as a lubricant on the rubber n plastic within the system.
You may be lucky and only need a new rad and re-gas but brace yourself, it may be costly.
rtz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-11, 11:58 AM   #3
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

cheers.

I have a replacement rad from the other car. Aircon was working nicely until about a month ago.
buggrit
Old 19-04-11, 12:03 PM   #4
rtz62

Sounds like a combo of u/s rad n loss of gas then. If the people you use are any good, they should diagnose and cure quickly.
rtz62 is offline   Reply With Quote